> increase my low end torque, to beat
> all the little eclipses' and talons'
> here at home. The more affordable the
> better. Also, I'm planning to add a
> high performance exhaust including
> headers. What diameter pipes should I
> get, I've heard that 2.5 is only good
> above 3,800 RPM
If you want to whoop the diamond star trio youll need more than low-end torque. A turbo would be a great start. or you can just build a n/a engine that will smoke'em. Low end is only good in the LOW END. I dont know about you, but when I race, Im never shift early. Once I pass 3800 in first, I wont see that low of numbers until I let off the gas. Torque is for pulling stuff.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> I need to know what modifications I
> can make to my '79 280ZX N/A to
> increase my low end torque, to beat
> all the little eclipses' and talons'
> here at home. The more affordable the
> better. Also, I'm planning to add a
> high performance exhaust including
> headers. What diameter pipes should I
> get, I've heard that 2.5 is only good
> above 3,800 RPM

You have the right idea, the later Z's are a bit heavy and need all the torque they can get to get off the line with any speed and top end power is pretty much all torque, a good front end airdam helps there a lot as most wind resistance is from the underside of the car. Smaller rear tires helps and different rearend gears. Also Nissan Motorsports offer's 2 different dia. header sizes, one is smaller and is for lowend along with a 2.25 exaust will help a lot.
Use a good cam but stay in the low duration area, 270 is about as far as you want to go with a street car if you want it to stay in the lower RPM range and will give a good pull starting at around 2000-2500RPM. You can also do a bit by getting rid of some of that weight, a lighter battery (Black Panther racing batter 139.00) plus alum. seats and radiator. Using a electric fan helps get a little low RPM power back also. Ramair plus cold air induction helps out at the top end and the cold air helps out in the whole range. If you really want to get down to it getting a lighter flywheel and a different oilpan that keeps the crank out of the oil can give more power also plus just keeping the car waxed helps out, it helps keep wind resistance to a min. Using Synthic oil in the engine/rearend and tranny(have to use the right kind in the tranny though or you will hurt the syncro's) will help give some wasted power back. Better coil/sparkplugs can help also. There are all sorts of ways to get power and extra speed out of any car, just takes time and money and imagination. Most of them have a dual purpose by giving power plus added gas mileage. I've done a lot of these to my 76 280Z and it got better gas mileage than my 71 240Z even though it's a heavier car though I added the Mikuni's and took away the good gas mileage but it's a bit more fun now.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Start by not going bigger than the 2.25 exhaust. Get too big on the diameter and you lose lower end for the upper end. If you're stoplight racing you'll need the low end.
Look around and find some 4.11 gears. I believe some out of the 240SX will swap right in.
After that the only thing that is going to give you a super kick in the butt is a Supercharger and that is going to cost you about $4,000 from Jim Cook Racing (JCR). Superchargers are the best when you are looking for quick response and low-end power. They won't give you as much HP in the end as a turbo nor is their fuel efficiency as good but they do come on at the low end. That is why Ford had to recall their supercharged 3.8L Thunderbird. The supercharger twisted the crank and Ford had to go to a forged unit. You already have a forged crank in your Z.
Phantom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.