ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back (1 year +) when I was first rebuilding my Z I debated replacing the I6 with a V8. I gotta tell you, I am SO **** glad I kept the L28! The sound my engine makes is awesome. I have a 2.25" mandrel with 1 glasspack in the tunnel and a 4" monza tip and when it gets up over 5k+ rpms it sounds so unbelievable! I drive like a maniac just to hear the exhaust note. :)

Steve G

·
Registered
904 Posts
Wow!! What a good sound... By the way, do you think that that relacing a open K&N cone type filter really help? Does the exhaust also help? i m trying to replace the filter and the ex for my 78 z, Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrew, I also have the K&N cone filter on the intake and it breathes much, much better than stock.

<a href=http://www.newtier.com/graber/z-car/Air-Intake-Project/index.html>You can see my intake here</a>

Steve

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally to the paint booth

Hi Richard, It was good to meet you the other day down at VR's shop. I really want to see what you've done to your Z. By what you told me it is so very cherry! My VR is finally at the Body shop getting the guide coat/ripple filler and hi-fill primer treatment this week. Next week it will enter the booth and come out looking like a metallic silver 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO Spyder. YEAH!!! The interior is at the upholstery shop and they are starting tomorrow. Double stiched seams all around, light Tan seats and door panels with dark brown leather dash and custom center console. Man, I am so excited I could piss my pants (not quite). It's been over a year ya know.
Anyhow, We'll need to get together with whoever else is in Phx and go for a drive up 89a or somewhere fun.

I'll be out at Knottsberry farm handcrafted auto show in April. It's the same weekend as Motorsports show and only about 10 miles away so maybe I'll drop in over there on Sunday for a few hours.

Steve G

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could be there too..

Between the sounds of exaust and the close proximity to the shows I feel left out in the cold. Please post a pic when out of the paint booth. Would love to see a few shots inside and out.. Have fun guys..

·
Registered
66 Posts
RE: Love the sound of my Z-sorta long reply

As I mentioned, my '77 is in the shop also. Here is what is being done to it; new strut cartridges, Eibach springs, bump steer spacer, shock boots, rotors, calipers, drums, brake pads and shoes, wheel bearings, ball joints, steering rack, tie rods, Suspension Techniques sway bars f/r, rubber brake hoses, urethane bushings throughout, Motorsports header with 2 1/2" exhaust system, timing chain, chrome valve cover, intake manifold as the old one rotted through the wall by the EGR valve, clutch, slave cylinder, clutch hose, and on the advice of my mechanic a new head gasket as he noticed some coolant stains on the side of the block on the under the manifolds. Most of the stuff added are upgrades and preventive maintainence in order to have reliable sport driving for a long time to come. Hope to have it back on Friday evenning. I've got a great mechanic who allowed me to purchase all of the parts and have him do the install. As I said, I have had my '77 Z Coupe for about 3 years and have been putting the money aside to complete this phase. Look forward to seeing you and your car soon.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rich, your Z will be awesome!

Rich, your car is going to be GREAT when you get it on friday! The one thing that I still need to do on mine is get the AFM tuned for the increase in flow. There is a lot more air getting in and out of the engine so the AFM calibration is off. Even though, suprisingly it passed emmissions!

You should remember to replace the stock intake filter with a K&N filter as well. you don't have to put on the tube and cone deal, although with your exhaust mods, it would help improve flow. I have seen some Z's where the top of the "blue can" was removed and the Filter was exposed, allowing better flow into the intake manifold. You of course would have to invent a way of sealing the filter onto the flange of the blue can, possibly aluminum L-channel on all 4 sides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.