ZCar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice looking 300ZX!

Hopefully someone can tell you but I’d be surprised!

You might have to scour the internet and compare what others say is OEM to each other and what you have.

There’s always old OEM stuff on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,455 Posts
It looks like the ones you have mount with adhesive material. Good; I don't like drilling to mount louvers.

Yours look a lot like the ones in the brochure pictured. At this point, no one really cares whether they're Nissan-listed or not. I'm pretty sure they were never an option other than out of an accessory catalog. Dealers may very well have sold them with louvers, but dealers love to add on accessories and increase profit.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
There were also several aftermarket companies that were making louvers there for awhile, but seems most have been discontinued. Astra Hammond still makes them I think. There are several variations too, such as low profile and the big boxy looking ones, and some are ABS plastic.

I wouldn't worry about whether it came from factory stock or not. I'd just be happy to have one, because if you haven't looked around yet, you will find that some of these louvers are very pricey... and they are really nothing but big pieces of metal riveted together, which I don't think justifies paying over $400 for one. Having said that, they are nice to have. If you got one, hold on to it. If you find another one, hold on to it. These are getting hard to find nowadays.

Bon

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Agreed as well, Pilgrim.

the metal ones are the way to go. I don't mind the ABS ones for the quarter panel windows... but the hatch ones in ABS always seem to get soft and 'droop'. its really a shame that these aren't being made anymore at least not for our cars. even if you don't use them but have them, hold on I say. I was even able to obtain several metal louvers for my ZX and Z31 over in the middle east when I was living there and I'm glad I did.... I brought them back home with me and I plan on holding on to them for sure, and using at least two.

I usually see ones on ebay but I can't justify paying the prices.

Bon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume the chrome trim around the hatch , has to be removed to install these. What do you use between the mounting brackets and the glass? I can’t find any install instructions anywhere

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,455 Posts
I assume the chrome trim around the hatch , has to be removed to install these. What do you use between the mounting brackets and the glass? I can’t find any install instructions anywhere
On mine that was not the case. The front mounts slid forward underneath the rubber gasket beneath the chrome trim. I don't recall them using adhesive. No trim was disturbed.

This shot is from above, looking toward the rear of the car. You can see that the mount is slid under the gasket. These mounts pivot when the back end of the louver unit is lifted.

Automotive exterior Rim Bumper Auto part Composite material

This is shot looking forward underneath the louvers on the driver's side...the rear mounts use a rubber material with adhesive on both sides. There is a screw on each rear mount which turns 90 degrees to release the louvers so they can be lifted for cleaning.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just picked up a set of rear window louvers, how do you identify if these are stock/Factory? see pics View attachment 111320 View attachment 111321 View attachment 111322
Just picked up a set of rear window louvers, how do you identify if these are stock/Factory? see pics View attachment 111320 View attachment 111321 View attachment 111322
I remember OEM louvers available in 77 for the Zap edition and in 78 for the Black Pearl ( see photos) but not for the ZX starting in 79. The 77 and 78 special editions were modified by Nissan once they reached the US.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
524 Posts
How do you know if the rear window louvers are OEM or one made by an aftermarket company? I don’t know if Nissan OEM louvers have Nissan’s part no. stamped on it somewhere. But maybe it does. Ask a dealer’s parts department for the part number and then take a close look at the louvers for that part number.

OEM rear window louvers were offered as an accessory and not as a factory option. Also, OEM opera window louvers were never available which cover the triangular rear side windows.

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,455 Posts
If louvers were offered as accessories, it's probable that Nissan didn't build them, but that they just bought them from a third party. It's also probable that many of them were ordered by dealers from wherever they could get them, then marked up considerably when they were installed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts