ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as you turn the ingnition you can hear that loud buzzing from the fuel pump.
Does anyone know if this is normal?
The only time you can't hear it is when the stereo is cranked, but I want to be able to hear when I'm 80 so that's not a good solution.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It definitely is a sign that your pump is running (but is starting to get worn out). I recently put a new Nissan OEM pump in, and it's very quiet compared to my old pump (a sutle hummm at idle). I did it before a long drive, but I had kept track of that loud buzz for about 45K miles before I decided to replace the pump. Your call--sometimes the cheaper re-manufactured pumps can be just as loud, I think it's better to spend the money to get the new OEM part from Nissan.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My '81 does the same thing. It has for the 4 years I've owned it. I bought a used pump but never put it on. I was worried it would not be any better (I paid $10 for it.) I then bought a high pressure pump from Arizona Z car. It is very small and requires a fuel filter to be installed in front of it. Arizona Z said I should not have any trouble with it on my stock car. I've not put it though worried about my fuel lines and the increased pressure. Anyone use these pump's out there? Any luck or problems?

I guess what I'm saying is the pump is not a big deal to replace. They can be pricey though. I'm poor, not cheap (there's a BIG difference), that's why I always look for alternatives. Sometimes they end up costing more, though. Also check your fuel filter. I've heard when these are clogged, the pump has to work harder to get the fuel through. Sounds good in theory I don't know how true it is. The filters are no big deal to replace either and probably should be done any way.

rbest

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the same problem when I purchased by 83ZX. The loud pump was quite annoying, so I had it replaced with a rebuilt pump (because my parents are cheap). Although I would have felt better about a new pump, the rebuilt one hasn't given me any problems, in fact, I think my mechanic just rebuilt my old one and put it back in! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The pump in my '82 Turbo sounds like the Enterprise going to Warp 10. I was not aware that this was abnormal, but after reading these posts, I may go buy a new one, whatever the cost. Oddly, I have been slowly restoring a '75 280Z and that pump only runs once the engine starts, not before. It is also very quiet.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> The pump in my '82 Turbo sounds like the
> Enterprise going to Warp 10. I was not aware
> that this was abnormal, but after reading
> these posts, I may go buy a new one,
> whatever the cost. Oddly, I have been slowly
> restoring a '75 280Z and that pump only runs
> once the engine starts, not before. It is
> also very quiet.
Don't jump on the fuel pump. Look at the fuel flow regulator to see if any fuel is being returned to the tank. I just spent over $500 replacing parts, only to find the $84 fuel regulator was stuck in the closed position. It's that vacuum looking thing on top of the fuel injector rack.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
> Don't jump on the fuel pump. Look at the
> fuel flow regulator to see if any fuel is
> being returned to the tank. I just spent
> over $500 replacing parts, only to find the
> $84 fuel regulator was stuck in the closed
> position. It's that vacuum looking thing on
> top of the fuel injector rack.
Did your Buzzing noise stop after you replaced your flow regulator?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
> Did your Buzzing noise stop after you
> replaced your flow regulator?

I had a hesitation problem way back and the mechanic said both the flow (fuel pressure) regulator and fuel pump needed to be replaced. I said there was nothing wrong with my pump (other than it being loud), and when he replaced the regulator, the hesistation problem went away.

So the answer to your question in my case was the buzzing noise didn't go away. It was just a sign of a 16-year old mechanism getting into its midlife crisis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.