ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't wait for this afternoon to get here. I was gonna take my rear passenger side brake drum assembly off the parts car and put it on my (78) Z tomorrow morn.(no lights at parts car.) What should have been a simple exercise turned into one of those $#@!$#^% jobs !!! The durn drum just wouldn't come off. I tapped and pried and it would move but not come off. Sprayed WD 40 in there , tapped harder...nothing.Started SWINGING that hammer ( stupid claw caught my sweatshirt and tore it and then caught my Reebok windsuit pants and just ripped 'em wide open. My language at this point was pretty rough) I then LOST MY TEMPER ... and discovered that cast aluminum shatters when subjected to some serious licks with a claw hammer from an angry baseball coach.Now to my question(s)... Can I use the drivers side drum on the passenger side brake assembly....and how do I get that son-of a.....gun off in just one piece ( as opposed to 27 pieces like the other one ) Oh yeah, taking off the rest of the brake assembly ( hub??) Is there anything in particular I need to know...or do. I only have one parts car.......Thanks for any input , guys.I gotta go change, try to get some non-ventilated items...lol

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yes you can swap the drums... You did'nt have the parking brake set while you were removing the drums, did you? Will never remove the drum that way...

·
Registered
511 Posts
John you beat me to it.

Take off the parking brake.

Good luck with the hub. You'll need more than a claw hammer.
Try a slide hammer.

Good thing you tore the Rebok suit.
We Z drivers stopped wearing that four years ago.

We went back to jeans and a t-shirt with a ball-peen hammer.

Those claw hammer are dangerous. You could put an eye out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
heh cute story there

ok back when i first took mine off i had the same problems, and it wasnt the parking brake. the inside face of the drum had simply fused to the hub. slide hammer didnt do @!#$ besides bending all those little fins on the edges of the drum.. what DID work was the trusty ole rubbet mallet, because you can go to WORK on your drums and not worry about breaking anything :) dont try and hit from behind though just pound on the front of it all around and it should losen itself up not to mention give you a nice little workout. gl!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Going postal on your car?

Now you know why I took all the hammers out of my toolbox! The only place you should hit the aluminum drums with a hammer is between the studs. It helps loosen them from the hub. If you susspect the shoes are binding you can use a dead blow hammer or a soft hammer. Also if you put the wheel on and rotate the drum forwards and back it can help free up the shoes. If it's still too tight pull the rubber plug on the back of the backing plate and try and back the adjusterss off.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: Going postal on your car?

To get off those stubborn drums here's a few ideas:

First squirt your favorite 'loosen it up' stuff in there. Liquid wrench and Breakfree are good ones.

Bash it with a rubber mallet for a while. Ok now you'll feel better but it's still on there right?

Take a 12 inch or so gear puller and put it on there and snug it up pretty good, but not enough to bend/warp the drum.

Bash it a few more times now. Nothing, right?

Ok, get the propane torch. Now with a medium flame heat it up good. Keep the flame moving at all times and only heat from the center hole to 1" past the lugs. It should pop off within about 2-3 minutes. If not you'll have to risk ruining the drum and crank the gear puller harder and start pounding it again.

If all the liquid wrench starts a fire, run away...
SoM

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
never wear good clothes

when working on your zcar

·
Registered
491 Posts
Re: Good clothes?

last time i had a struggle with a brake drum i had to get two small screw drivers and insert them into the brake liners and pry them inwards to clear the ridge thats worn into the drums( 64 t bird) from not paying attention to metalic noise for months.i'm now doing my74 vw bus right front drum i reached in from behind with my fingers9careful sharp edge only bled a little sore a long time. it had a ridge of at least 1/2 inch. in case i'm not clear its like the ridge when you do a valve job and you need a ridge reamer. not valve job ring job. dont get old you do things like this. lots a luck sam

·
Registered
651 Posts
Star wheel adjuster

If you pull off the rubber plug (sometimes on the drum, sometimes on the back) you should be able to back off the shoes by turning the adjuster with a screwdriver. It's a bit easier on your fingers...
SoM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.