ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm at it... I can't make up my mind if I want to lose the side markers on my Z or wether I should keep them, so I was looking to a concensus from the group. So far I have shaved the door handles, emblems, antenna, gas filler door and all key holes including the rear hatch. I have seen it both ways ans I think both are cool, or should I just lose the front since I have found a nice fitting low profile set for the rear off an older Toyota...
Thanks, Jeremy

· Registered
3,488 Posts
Lose 'em

Look what you've already done. It's a natural progression that compliments the modifications you'v already made.

I did it, along with all the stuff you've done. Also shaved my drip rails.

Z purity aside, the only concern I might see is that of a safety concern. But I am not worried about it myself.

If anybody rags you for "preservation," well, they just don't "get it."

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
? On Drip Rails, (cool)

Well this is what I was leaning towards so I feel better now, but I have a question... How hard was losing the drip rails and have you had any issues with water driping on you in rain, or is it not that big of a deal. I haden't thought of that but it would help out a bit.
Thanks, Jeremy

· Registered
233 Posts
I think that some of the aftermarket quarters come without holes for the side markers. I didn't like the ones on my 240Z, so I switched to 280ZX side markers. They are "cleaner" looking and actually compliment the car nicely.

I guess shaving everything could look interesting and would probably give the car more of a "late model" look.

I am not crazy about all of the chrome and stainless, so I painted my 240Z a creamy white that looks good with the shiny stuff. If I were going to paint her a dark color, I would definitely get rid of/cover up all of the chrome and stainless.

pics of my 240: http://www.angelfire.com/retro/chaz240zxt/

· Registered
685 Posts
Re: Painted Handles

Jeremy, you might check with the with state DMV first. The side marker lights were installed to comply with the law , removing them may void your insurence and open you wide open to a law suit if you get in a accident. With the recessed head lights and without the markers the car is less visable from the side. I wouldent do it , Gary Portland Or.

· Registered
3,488 Posts

You are likely right on all counts.

I have also removed the bumpers, which is considered a "no-no" in my state. But it is considered a "non-moving violation" here, so I am taking the gamble.

A friend of mine owns an insurance company and is also on the board of directors of a MAJOR and highly rated car insurance company. He told me not to worry about it. Also, in the event of a wreck, the wreck would have to conform to a very specific set of circumstances -- and it would require the other driver or the reporting police officer to be observant enough to notice the missing markers.

I'm willing to take those gambles.....

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

· Registered
1,298 Posts

If what you are going for is the "bare" shaved look, then you've shaved handles, drip rails, and other protruberances. I would opt for removing the side markers.

However, Gary makes a good point. The side markers aren't just for illumination but also for reflecting light from vehicles approaching from the side.

What about imbedding the lights so that they are coming through from the back, or using some other lights that would allow you to achieve that flush to the metal look?

Just a thought.

· Registered
233 Posts

My door handles were looking pretty crappy, so after I had the car painted, I had to do something about the shabby looking handles. They had to be roughed up by sanding them and primed. It was a lot easier to have them painted than to scrape my knuckles up trying to remove the old ones and replace them. I like the more modern look too.

Just an FYI, there is a guy in CA I think that sells clear side markers. That's an option to removing them al together.

Chas

· Registered
42 Posts

Hey I shaved my antenna, rear wiper, and rear spray nozzle. Instead of shaving my marker lights I instead made custom fogged lenses for them and my turn signal lights. They look black when the lights are turned off but when you flip the switch light comes through. I am going to try to make them flush with the body because they stick out a little (about 1/4 of a inch). Try doing this instead of making your car a hazard to drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.