ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my timeing belt to try to cure my car of running very crappy. it idles very eraticly at 5-6 hundred rpm. When I let the cluch out and give it a little gas my engine wants to die but it doesn't, it seems like it's going to stall but at the last second it reves again and gives the car a bucking feel (like a new standard driver). I know my car misses a bit and can hear it in the exhaust and am going to replace all wires, rotor and cap soon (i already replaced the spark plugs with NKG's) but would bad wires/cap and rotor cause this bucking. (btw i pulled out the wire on the CTHS sensor right at the sensor head when moving the wireing harnes to get at the #2 spark plugs) but shouldn't that only cause my temp guage to stop working but it still does??. My fuel filter needs to be replaced, also i was playing with my PCV valve today and the diaphram spring won't move at all, I have checked for vacume leaks and have found non and my airfilter is brand new.

So would a bad PCV valve, fuel filter, CHTS (sensor is good, wire is just not connected) and bad distributor cap/rotor and wires cause this bucking?

Update: I un hooked my MAF and yeah, the idle smoothed out but the car would not rev over 2000-2300 rpm. I also did the check on Z31.com and turned off the car and checked to see if the wire got hot, and it turned a bright red for about 1 second. I also noticed that the bucking would only occure after 2000 rpm, so i'm connecting the two dots here and i'm leaning toward the problem is my MAF not the CHTS (i replaced the fuel filter and it did 0 help) about how much are used MAF from a junk yard?

Post Edited (Sep 14, 10:03pm)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Loping??

I had a similar problem with my 89 z and it turned out to be the air flow meter. You can actually unplug the meter and the car will run without it but the rpms will not drop instantly when you take your foot off the gas. Its a little hard to get to but if thats the problem it will save you a lot of money instead of rebuilding everthing.Mine was loping like it had a 3/4 racing cam. KKing

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
my 86t is doing the same thing right now i replaced the did cap rotor plugs wires fuel filter AAC and maf and it is still doing it - and someone told me its probably the CHTS so you might want to plug yours back in just to see

plus when i replaced the MAF it ran worse

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.