ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey first time on this forum and I've already learned some stuff reading through other threads. My big question is my 75 280zx is very loose in the front, it almost feels like the bearings are shot or a tire is loose. I put new spindels inner and outer bearings, poly rack bushings, front end alinment, what is left and what is up with my car is there any way to get rid of this shake?Thanks

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
How about a nylon steering column coupler and new strut mount bushings. btw is it a 75 or a zx? Is the loosness when driving (a pulsating back and forth of the steering wheel) or loosness when it is setting static and you move the steering wheel. Pulsating can also come from incorrect toe settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 75 280 It pulls side to side and basically wonders the road, even at lower speeds of like 20.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Our cars are very sensitive to steering problems. I will list a few things for you to look at, in addition to what you have done already.

Inner and Outer tie rod ends. I think Nissan only sells them as a complete set anymore. Outers are easy to diagnose, Inners can be harder. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you examine the rod ends for movement. Odds are you might see somehthing.

Wheel bearings. Sure, you replaced them, but did you torque them to the factory settings? Takes special tools (inch gauge). If not right, you have slop.

Wheels. If they are warped, you will shake. Period. Pay attention to torque settings for the lugs. If they aren't warped, torquing them with a 4 way only is a good way to get them there!

Tires. Must be balanced, and in good shape. I had a set once that balanced fine, but caused shakes at certain speeds. The tire place wouldn't believe it, but after test driving, agreed to replace them. Guess what. Shake went away.

Air Pressure. My car will get a speed specific shake if the tires are not pressurized equally. If I go down a couple of pounds on one side, the shakes come back.

T/C control rods. If these are loose, or the bushing is shot, you will have the shakes.

Ball Joint. If bad, you will shake.

Struts. Yes, if they are bad, you will have a host of problems, including shakes.

Strut bearing/mount. Located on top of your strut tube, this should be replace when you replace your struts.

Frame Problems. If your frame is bad (warped, twisted, bent) you will never have a good front end. This sort of thing should show up in a good front end alignment. Can be checked using the FSM (shows distances from all points).

Brake rotors. If badly warped, you could have constant shakes. If slightly warped, you will get shakes when braking. I end up having to replace mine every 2-3 years.

Steering Rack. If everything else is tried, you might give this some scrutiny. They usually last forever if well maintained.

Control Arm Bushing. Where the arm mounts to the frame, if bad, you will have the shakes.

That should just about do it. They aren't in any particular order. It should all be checked. Steering is very important, and I know of no one that wants to ride around with bad front end parts. Most of the stuff listed is easy to examine/repair/replace. The Factory Service Manual is a great tool for working on this stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.