ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started disassembling my '73 and found some rust in places that I didn't expect. Could some of you who have rebuilt there cars from the ground up give me your opinions on whether or not this is too much rust to be usable? Keep in mind that I live in NC and not in the west where the life expectancy of metal is so much longer.

Have a look at:
http://www.kevins.s5.com/zcar.htm

Thanks,

KS

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Kevin I'm in NC too, Asheville. It is hard to find good Z's around here to work with. I had a copper 280 with almost as much rust as yours in those pics, and ended up scrapping it. I got a body out of AZ dirt cheap and had to put very little in it.

At the very least on that car you have I would replace the frame rails and floorpans, rockers, theres probably rust in the fender lips. It will be expensive depending on what you can do yourself and how factory you want it to look.

Good luck

Matt

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
well, I've brought much worse cars back to life... How much can you do yourself? If you're gonna pay someone to do most of it...then I suggest you try to find a car with a blown motor and good body...because it'll take a good deal of money to get it fixed by someone...now if you can do it yourself, go for it. Like I said, I've brought cars that were a lot worse back to life....but you'll need a good gas shielded mig welder. And remember, this kind of work is pretty much thankless...so expect to get burnt out on it...just take breaks before you get mad or frustrated with it...and remember to have fun...eventually you'll have yourself one **** of a car.

Spork

·
Registered
651 Posts
graham

Very nice job of Z rust pattern documentation! Only other thing I could ask for is a shot of the front frame rails where they run down under the front floor (from below). Or wasn't there anything left to photograph...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.