ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I´m looking for a five-gear manual gearbox for my 280ZX Targa.
What I found is a gearbox for a 280ZX turbo and I´d like to know, if this one is equivalent to the one of the "normal" 280ZX.

I would be very glad, if anybody can help me with this!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Greetings from Northrhine-Westfalia, Germany
Moritz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From 83.
But I got an answer from a Nissan Car Dealer.
He looked for the part numbers and the numbers are different, so there will be a difference between the gearboxes.
Thank you!
Greeting, Moritz

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm no expert, but the only differences would be internal. Maybe the T5 for the turbo model has some beefier internals to handle additional power. Bellhousing would be the same and tailshaft would be the same.

I'd be curious to see what ZManofWashington or other Z car expert has to say about external variations in the 5 speeds used in the 280Z and 280ZX

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There is a writeup on the narrow and wide ratio nissan datsun 5speeds recently posted on here. Turbo world class t5 trans requires a few mods for use.

·
Registered
202 Posts
One is a Borgwarner 5 speed And the other is a Nissan 5 speed. The BW 5 speed is the same one that is in many American cars of the day like the 5speed Mustang. It was thought that the beefier 5 speed from BW could handle the turbo in the Z. All 82-83 5 speed turbos are BW trannys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,588 Posts
If memory serves, there are differences in the input and output splines, and in the total length. I believe it can be done but some modifications are needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts