ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hurricane Harvey Recovery - Looking for advice

I have a 1978 California coupe here in Houston. Let me say, I have always loved this car. I drove it a couple of years and started having trouble with it so I started making repairs. From body work to fuel delivery to appearance.
About 18 months ago, enter Hurricane Harvey. We rebuilt the house and garage, but had little time to devote to the Z.
So here I am now. Asking, “What recourse do I have for the Z now?”
Should I try to rebuild or part it out?
My heart says rebuild.
We had about 18 inches or more in the garage. Water in floor pans when we were able to return. I didn’t see water in the oil, but regardless, engine, trans, differential, electrical?
Everything is probably needing replacement or rebuilding.
Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have a 1978 California coupe here in Houston. Let me say, I have always loved this car. I drove it a couple of years and started having trouble with it so I started making repairs. From body work to fuel delivery to appearance.
About 18 months ago, enter Hurricane Harvey. We rebuilt the house and garage, but had little time to devote to the Z.
So here I am now. Asking, “What recourse do I have for the Z now?”
Should I try to rebuild or part it out?
My heart says rebuild.
We had about 18 inches or more in the garage. Water in floor pans when we were able to return. I didn’t see water in the oil, but regardless, engine, trans, differential, electrical?
Everything is probably needing replacement or rebuilding.
Any advice is appreciated.
sorry to hear that. hurricanes suck! that one that hit us in NC last year was no walk in the park.
have you tried to start your car? chances are your engine is still good. if you planned to keep the car for long term before it got flooded, might be good to hold on to it and fix things a little at at time (depending on how extensive the damage is) but nothing is wrong with parting it out if it is really bad. i think you should get with the Z car clubs there in Texas and see if you can get some help from them. you should also go through the car and see what works and what doesn't.

Bon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bon.
I’m sure I’m not the only one dealing with this issue. From floods to fires to earthquakes.
I really want to keep it. I truly believe they’re bulletproof engines and I was expecting to redo a lot of the drivetrain anyways.
So I’ll check locally for ideas and just make an inventory of what is good and what needs work. I think that’s the first step.
I do have some resources that may come in handy.
Thanks again for the advice.
James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts