ZCar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Western wheels with removable spokes in the stock size (14 x 6-ish). When buttoning everything back up from my brake job, I noticed one of my lug nuts wasn't round at the base anymore. All the lugs are fine, as I was able to thread a lug nut on all studs as a test. Trying to find a mag style lug nut with a short collar is easier said than done. Some paper napkin measuring shows I have about 10 mm from the wheel face to the outside of the hub. Current lug nuts have about 3mm of collar below the washer. I'm assuming they are the stock M12 x 1.25 thread

I found these;

But I think the collar below the washer will be about 1.5mm too deep.

Here's the wheels I have;

And this is the lug nuts I'm trying to replace (21mm socket, 34mm long);

I don't mind buying an entire set of lug nuts, as long as the washer seats fully on the wheel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can always use thicker washers, or double them up ( the washers).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanted to follow up on this. I'm having a hard time finding a lug nut with a 17mm shank diameter. Everything on the interwebs is 18mm or greater.

Is there a mag style lug nut with a 17mm shank that has a short-ish collar below the washer?

If I can't find that, how hard would it be to drill out the wheel lug holes 1mm? I'd take this to a machine shop, as I wouldn't trust myself to be able to get it done right.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,062 Posts
Wanted to follow up on this. I'm having a hard time finding a lug nut with a 17mm shank diameter. Everything on the interwebs is 18mm or greater.

Is there a mag style lug nut with a 17mm shank that has a short-ish collar below the washer?

If I can't find that, how hard would it be to drill out the wheel lug holes 1mm? I'd take this to a machine shop, as I wouldn't trust myself to be able to get it done right.
Holy cow, man. If you can't find a match, then modify a lug nut, not the wheel!! A good machine shop can make you one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing like spending $200 on some lug nuts

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,062 Posts
That lug nut you're trying to replace looks a lot like the stock one for my 1983 280ZX Turbo wheels.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are those sold? Parts stores don't have them. Online z car shops don't have them.

I think I found something that will work. Gorilla lug nuts, 72128. Paper napkin math shows the dimensions look promising. Ordered 20, so I have some back ups.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,062 Posts
Online Z car shops include places with used parts - perhaps you haven't found them yet. I hope you get one that will work for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts