ZCar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ‘77 280Z and am looking to convert from an automatic to manual. I’m looking for recommendations on where to find one and what year Zs are compatible to get a transmission from.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I like the later year ZX's over the early ones. The main reason is the taller 5th gear. the early 5 speeds for a 280z had a OD of only a little taller that 4th. You need to decide what kind of driving you are doing, and if you want to diff swap as well. I have a late model ZX with a .75 OD and a stock diff 3.54. this results in 70 mph at about 2600 rpm. This combo means the 5th is pretty much useless unless you are going 70 plus, below that and you feel like you are lugging the engine. There is not much pep at all in 5th even at the higher speeds, you are just working against a too tall final drive.
But if you want a highway cruiser and want a sustained 75-80 mph it make a nice combo.

The L-28 in its stock form really does not need a 5 speed, its torque curve seems pretty flat, and it can rev all day at 4k
(80 mph in 4th with a 3.54). I only got it for the lower rpm on VERY long drives at high speeds. If you geared the diff with a 3.9 and went with a late model ZX 5 speeds you find 5th gear more usable, but in the end you would prob just be shifting more and gaining little. Now if you tweek the engine for more HP and a narrower power band the right combo of 5 speed and diff would def help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave - I don't spend a lot of cruising time in my Z - highways. I do mostly around town. If I understand you correctly, I think you are even saying a 4sp would be fine for my use? Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yes the 4 speed is fine for reg around town driving with the stock engine. 5 speed would be useless unless you swapped a diff as well, and even then I doubt it would enhance the driving experience. The only reason I can see a 5 speed for around town driving would be if you had a narrow power band from a peaky engine, and you wanted to stay in that power band while racing around.

all this assume you are getting a later trans. if you got an early trans like the ones that came on the 280z then you may like a slightly taller 5th but again that would be mainly for crazing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a complete drive train from radiator engine 5 sp tranny all the way to rear diff...complete excellent and low mileage ...with video of it running in car...I am doing v-8 swap
[/QUOTE.]

Are you able to reach out to me directly to discuss further on price, location and details? [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
@ezidenberg if you follow up on this, be very careful. The post has all the warning signs of a scammer. There's about a 90% chance it's a scam. The poster joined 17 hours ago and has a classic scam username.

If I were to buy this I'd want to see it and pay on site, or use an online escrow payment firm to assure that the money would not be released until I had the parts in hand and approved them.

If I've offended the poster, big deal. You can prove you're real easily enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dolph1732 is totally legit and not a scammer. His project ‘73 240Z is going to be something amazing. I’m in the process of figuring how to ship the items he has. Thanks for the concern - just wanted to let all know he is good!

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
Dolph1732 is totally legit and not a scammer. His project ‘73 240Z is going to be something amazing. I’m in the process of figuring how to ship the items he has. Thanks for the concern - just wanted to let all know he is good!
That's great news!!! As you can imagine, it's really difficult to police this part of the forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts