ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well that 87 300zx made me pretty upset at the fact that it didn't have a turbo. i kept snooping around the recycler to find a 84 turbo 300zx 50th ae for $3000. heres the exact ad:

blk, lthr int, 156m, new injectors, brakes, recent tune-up, run and looks sharp, pp

uhh i called the guy and he said everything was fine except its 4th gear wasn't funtional...my cousin said this is still a pretty good deal and that i could easily buy a tranny for $300.

so, once again i seek help from the experts and ask...is this a good deal? will i avoid breaking the bank of $3500? does my butt look big? much help is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Without looking at it it is hard to say but with that many miles and the fact that 4th gear is out there is a good chance that the paint and interior aren't going to be great. Just going from what you are saying I wouldn't even consider paying more than 2k for it. Sure it's an AE but if you are just looking for a turbo you can find ones cheaper that actually have a working tranny. If you are specificly looking for an AE well then it may be worth it to you. I know here in southern california you can find decent condition turbos starting at about 1500 while 3500 gets you a really good condtion one. Manual trannys are hard to bust so if the 4th gear went out it was probably abused or not taken care of which translates that the whole car may have been abused or not taken care of. Still it's really hard to say without pics.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I paid $700 for my 87 Turbo. The only real problem with it is a smashed fender. I checked out the prices for our cars on kbb.com, and there was no way I could get it to go above $2500. The most I could get was for an 88 SS with 500 miles and that was only around $2300.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well I got my AE for $3,200.00. It was suppose to be $3,400.00 but when I told him to check underneath the carpet in the trunk for rust and he did and found rust, he took $200.00 off the price. The car had some problems but I was willing to pay for it because I wanted an AE. The car did and does have some problems. I had to get the floors fixed and the rear quarter panels fixed on both sides. I couldn't go out and look at it because I didn't have the money to travel out there to see it but I was willing to fix it up. My advise is, if you want the car really bad and are willing to get it fixed up then buy it but you should go and see it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If this is your first car, I suggest you find something with the fewest problems with it that your money can buy. The fewer problems now, the less monetary outlay you'll have right off if the car has been maintained properly. It should result in fewer breakdowns (not that you won't have any) and problems that could keep you from enjoying the Z. Don't be in a hurry as that may result in a purchase that could cause you a LOT of regret down the road. Since this is your first car, take someone with you that is familiar with Z's. Their eye for detail and knowledge of the Z can do nothing but be to your advantage. In the end, you'll be glad you did. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Special Ops Ops

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i just put in a deposit on this car. uhh the car's body was in great condition surprisingly for a 160k (not 185k as posted) driven car. Interior was good except the fuel gauge of the digidash wasn't functional. He installed a turbo controller or something of the kind. the drive was pretty weird...shifting to the 2nd car was difficult, tranny definitely needs to be replaced. The car seemed to be advanced a bit, it was idling above 1 on the tach. all the electronics worked good. this seller had to start it with jumpers before he brought it to me tho, connection between the battery had a weird white fuzz...he brought it down to $2700, so i accepted. My cousin said all i basically need is a tranny and a basic tuneup and the car would be good to go for local 15 minute drives.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
If your happy thats all that matters but I think most will agree that you probably paid too much considering what you just said. Sounds like some electrical problems may be in your future as well as some other odds and ends. Regardless, as long as you feel comfortable with the price and are happy thats all that matters. Enjoy your new Z.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.