ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 74 260 and am thinking of using the engine for a custome 240 OR 260. I have heared that the 260 has the longest stroke engine and the largest stock displacement. Is this true? I will probably bore it out some anyone know of any shops in Wisconsin that specialize in Z's

·
Registered
253 Posts
As far as longest stroke, I don't know that much about it, but as far as largest stock displacement that would be the 280z/zx engine (2.8L) followed by the 260z (2.6L) and the 240z (2.4L), funny how that works huh? On the aside, I have heard of alot of people builing 3.1L stoker motors, though I don't know which block they start from (I think the 2.8L) and I don't think I've heard much about anyone boring out a z block, think it has to do with the cylinder walls and not wanting them to be too thin between cylinders, again, I may be wrong, this could just be for turbo motors or none at all.

What the **** do I know anyways, I'm putting a chevy in mine.
Myke

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Biggest L6 motor would be the 2.8 liter. Longest stroke would be the infamous diesel crank from a maxima. Put the diesel crank with a 2.8 block and the right pistons to get something between 3 and 3.2 liters. MAximum overbore to a L28 block is .120 inches, and that might be pushing it. Forget the 240, 260, or custom motors. Slap in a 280 motor. It's the easiest, most common, and cheapest.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
358 Posts
the 240, 260, & 280 blocks are all the same. The bores and crnkshaft are actually the difference. The 260 has the same bore as 240, but the 260 has the bigger crankshaft(stroke). The 280 has the bigger crank plus an oversized bore.
Bore Stroke
240..............83mm..................73.7mm
260..............83mm..................79mm
280..............86mm..................79mm

You can increase stroke to 83mm by using an LD28 crankshaft from 2.8Liter diesel Maxima.
As for bore its not recommended to exceed 87mm.

My source- "How to Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine"
great book for tech. data

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.