ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size cotter pins do I need to replace my old ones when I remove the hubs on my 78? Can I just pick these up at a hardware store? I have to replace my front rotors and would like to put in new pins.

Also, do you have to take the rear drums completely off just to change the calipers?

· Read Only
3,883 Posts
its always a good thing to do when you remove the old ones. just go to the local parts or hardware store and match the one you should take with you up. its not that hard and im sure someone there would help you..

· Registered
107,597 Posts
have to remove the drums to replace the calipers????? calipers are on a disk brake on the front, and drums are on the rear. you can't have both on one wheel. on my rear, i did'nt have to remove anything but the wheel to pull the drum off and replace the wheel cylinder, and brake shoes. on the front, you can remove the caliper without removing the disk, and you can replace the front brake pads without even removing the caliper, just pull 2 pins and slide the pads out from the front. just make sure you pry them back from the disk or you won't be able to budge them. so you should'nt be pulling any cotter pins.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant rear shoes

I meant to say do you have to remove the drums to change the shoes in the rear. I have new SS brake lines, front rotors, sm brake bads, and rear shoes all ready to be replaced on my 78. My biggest worry is what you touched on and that is removing the bolts that attach the front rotors to the hubs. I'm attempting all this in my carport.

· Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: Cotter Pins

Before using the new c/pins, give each of them a one-quarter twist (the "Rolls Royce twist") to set them so that the ends lie flat when you spread them under the dust cap. If you dont do this, the ends of the c/pin can stick out and hit the dust cap when the car moves.

Things they don't teach you in school - and you never see in a dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.