ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone pinpoint exactly where the voice module box is?
It has stopped working on me. It supposedly has a 20-wire connector on it according to the Haynes manual. All the manual has is a wiring diagram on it with no other mentions or pictures, and I haven't been able to find the module for myself yet.

So far I've removed the driver's side foot paneling off and looked all under the dash and behind the instrument panel for it, but no luck.

Any clues?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The voice Warning Module is on the right rear strut tower. You can get to it by removing the panel that covers the spare tire.

> Can anyone pinpoint exactly where the voice
> module box is?
> It has stopped working on me. It supposedly
> has a 20-wire connector on it according to
> the Haynes manual. All the manual has is a
> wiring diagram on it with no other mentions
> or pictures, and I haven't been able to find
> the module for myself yet.

> So far I've removed the driver's side foot
> paneling off and looked all under the dash
> and behind the instrument panel for it, but
> no luck.

> Any clues?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solution to Voice Module problem

> The voice Warning Module is on the right
> rear strut tower. You can get to it by
> removing the panel that covers the spare
> tire.

Thank you VERY much! I would've never looked for it way back there.

Symptoms:
1) No Audio. (Yes, my stock radio and speakers work FINE!)
2) If you put your ear up to the module, you could hear the motor inside spinning away endlessly everytime it was supposed to say something, but there was no audio.
3) There was no clicking sounds coming from the unit....which indicates no head movement at all.

Unit Description:
The voice module is a miniature, automatic RECORD PLAYER with w/ multiple starting points on the record platter, and a diamond needle head which is controlled by 2 circuit boards (the bigger one has a relay, the smaller one senses the rotation of the platter and has a red LED sensor that tells it if the head has reached the end of the record), and lastly, a voice-coil/magnet and 2 springs Set or Retract and Reset the head when its time to PLAY or STOP.

...That's alot of mechnical moving parts that can go bad. :(

The Solution:
I had to take it apart and clean the contacts on the small circuit board, and bent the metal contacts attached to the record platter ever so slightly so it would make better contact with the small circuit board.

Details of disassembling and reassembling it:
1) I took off the metal mounting brackets off the 2-sides
2) Unscrewed and opened that side of it up
3) Took off the white plastic retainer bar that runs across the needle arm
4) Unscrewed the small sensor board and carefully lifted the coil wiring out of the way.
5) Lifted the whole thing out like a door hinge.
6) Cleaned the small circuit board with a scotch pad and bent the contacts on the platter back into shape. (The belt fell off while I was doing this)
7) Put the belt back on
8) Put the whole thing back together.

Your headlights are on!
....and etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Will one from a 300 zx work in place of it????????

I have one from an '84 300. It has the same plug as the one in my '83.

Bruce

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Will one from a 300 zx work in place of it?

> I have one from an '84 300. It has the same
> plug as the one in my '83.
> Bruce

I'm not sure. It sounds like something fun to try next time I'm in the vicinity of a junk yard... Maybe I can borrow one from a '84 temporarily to try. I'll let you know if this works.

It has a 20-wire connector, and the wire colors on the '82 are wired like this, with the tab on the wire connector facing up:

L LY X X LG B LgB YW WB WG
X RL O O YB YR YR YB X X

|__|

(Loopback)

To Russ: did you find out anymore details about what were you talking about on 7/30 about a White wire with a Yellow tracer going to the Voice unit and a speed sensor on the cruise control?

- Jordan

·
Registered
787 Posts
Re: Will one from a 300 zx work in place of it?

Yea. It was the speed sensor that connects to the speedometer. it was a yellow wire with white tracer wire that goes to the cruise control and the voice warning unit. It sends pulses to those units, the faster the pulses the faster the speed.

I went to the local junk yard and got the whole digital dash and replaced the odometer with mine. Now i have cruise and the girl talks.
To get the cruise to work right i also had to clean the contacts on the turn signal stem on the sterring wheel. They were really gummed up.
The only problem was the switch on the passenger door was not closing all the way and she kept saying right door is open she must have said that a hundred times. About the 90th time she started to say right door is DOH. But i fixed the switch so i don't here that saying anymore.

> To Russ: did you find out anymore details
> about what were you talking about on 7/30
> about a White wire with a Yellow tracer
> going to the Voice unit and a speed sensor
> on the cruise control?

> - Jordan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.