ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am just full of questions today.

My 1978 280Z has some issues regarding the lighting electricals. The headlights work only on the highbeam setting. And when switched to lowbeams there are no lights at all. It appears to me that the light output for the highbeam setting is actually the lowbeams, and other people have agreed with me on this. What should I check for this? I already checked the fuses. It is more than just a fuse or a blown headlight. No power is getting to the headlight on the lowbeam setting. Is this a relay or switch of some sort? The turn signals work.

Possibly related........my dash lights do not work. Could this be as a result of the same malfunction causing my low beams not to work?

Thank you all.

Russell
'78 280Z Convertible

· Registered
972 Posts
It's common to have problems in both the high/low switch and combination switch. But from what you describe it sounds like someone has already "fixed" a previous problem. The high/low not working could just be the switch, or it could be both bulbs have the same segment blown.

The dash lights are on the same circuit as the marker lights, so unless those don't work either the dash light problem would be the Illumination Dimmer.

There are no relays in the system, just old switches.

Posts having to do with combination switch:
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=235450&t=235449

More useful info, although describing installing relays:
http://zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=233114&t=233103

ConorP

· Registered
3,319 Posts
This is likely in the turnsignal/dimmer switch. Dash lights and headlights are separate circuits. If you have running/clearance lights but no dashlights, the problem is likely in the rheostat control for the dash lights or it's ground. Dash lights and running lights use the same power source. If you don't have running lights either then look to the combination switch and/or power source (fuse). Check for power at the headlight connector by checking from the power wire to CHASSIS ground. Then check the high or low beam wires to chassis ground also. If you check across the connector itself and you loosing the ground return for high or low beam it will appear that you have lost power. The power is there all the time that you have headlight combo switch 'on'. It is the ground/return lines that are switched to determine which filament is lit up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.