ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever milled off or removed in any way the outer (A/C) pulley on the crankshaft dampener to make it a one groove pulley? I realize that the stock unit is an integral part of the crank balenceing and if this isnt done correctly, especially on cast iron, it might result in a vibration or noise. In the Paeco parts catalog, there is a lightwieght underdrive single groove pulley for $150. I started thinking that if I swapped out my 78 Z pulley system for a smaller (I.E. underdrive) 240Z pulley system, and then somehow removed the unneeded outer pulley for even more wieght reduction, I might pick up several HP and not shell out the big bucks to Paeco. Any ideas or thoughts welcome!!!!

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
1985 still going strong.

Had a two-groove small-diameter pulley (solid, no dampening rubber in it) from a 1973 ZS Fairlady Z. I had the front pulley cut off back in 1985, and have had no problems with it in the subsequent years of severe driving. Do it!
The note I do have, is that the machinist mentioned that he didn't know "what thatthing was made of but I burned up three bits facing it off!"
Forewarned is forearmed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
the crank pulley in comparison to the flywheel is nothing. If you are looking for more power in the lightened rotating mass, that would be the place to start. The underdrive would gain you some of your accessory drag, so that would work, but as for shaving the crank pully, it'll do nothing in the shadow of that big flywheel these cars are blessed with.
Dylan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.