ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you raise a 280zx by the frame, and let the suspension components just hang there, will it cause damage?

I would think at the very least this would bad for the suspension bushings, and possibly shocks??

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I don't think it would do any harm as long as you are lifting or jacking from the proper lift points on the car.... don't put the jack or lift on the frame rails themselves. Follow the FSM procedures.
what are you specifically trying to do?

Bon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is really just for my own edification. This car runs in the 24 Hours of Lemons, and in my care, it has spent more time on jack stands that it has on the ground. I have let the unsprung portions of the car just hang for probably much longer than I should. Recently, one of the original rear shocks sprang a leak, and I'm wondering if there could be a correlation here. Like, maybe did the piston inside the shock top out at full extension, and damage the gland seal? I dunno. In any case all the original shocks are coming off now and getting replaced with Koni yellow adjustables.

Another reason I'm trying to learn about this is something I observed in the Koni instructions. Please see the attached photo. Koni being european, has made their instructions in what I call 'Lego' format. It's all pictures, no text. I (incorrectly) thought this picture was telling me that after Koni installation, the car can no longer be lifted by the frame, only the wheels. I started wondering, when the car is lifted, and the suspension is at 'full droop', is the Koni shock going to top out and maybe damage it's seal? Alternately, would the suspension bushings limit travel and stop the suspension before the shock tops out? Should I restrain the suspension in some way to prevent full extension and topping out of the struts? This was my thought process. Upon further examination, (and putting on my reading glasses) my interpretation changed. I now think Koni is trying to tell me is that when the shock is installed, support of the weight of the car on the wheels, not the frame, so that the shock can be installed in the correct position. On the left there is a picture of a dude tightening the shock in place, while the car is on a wheel supporting lift, not a frame supporting lift. So, I'm just hoping to get some info on how all this stuff works to verify my new interpretation of the Koni instructions.

Oh and by the way you may be wondering ... this car did receive an energy suspension bushing kit upgrade about two years ago. I replaced every bushing that I could on the car. The rear subframe to body bushings were the exception (impossible to find). I have some bushings off a 300ZX, but have yet to modify those to put on the 280ZX. I think everything else has been replaced with energy suspension, moog, etc.

White Font Gesture Line Art

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,004 Posts
That could be the meaning. Possible case in point:

I had my 280ZX on jackstands for four years. The front wheels were at full drop.

When I set the car down, I heard a slight noise and then power steering fluid started dribbling out of the rack. I guess the rack seals took a set while the front tires hung down, and when the car came down and the wheels went up to normal position, the seal popped.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
When I was swapping the transmission on my Z the wheels were full drop and a brake line and a strut isolator let go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you raise a 280zx by the frame, and let the suspension components just hang there, will it cause damage?

I would think at the very least this would bad for the suspension bushings, and possibly shocks??
Get a pro to move it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That could be the meaning. Possible case in point:

I had my 280ZX on jackstands for four years. The front wheels were at full drop.

When I set the car down, I heard a slight noise and then power steering fluid started dribbling out of the rack. I guess the rack seals took a set while the front tires hung down, and when the car came down and the wheels went up to normal position, the seal popped.
I can second that. I had my 280ZX on jackstands with wheels hanging for a couple of days and popped the seals on my power steering. Cost me a week off the road and $850 when I got around to dealing with it. On the plus side I got a big improvement in steering. I guess if that's all it took to pop the seals it was near the end of its life. I didn't notice any damage to the suspension, but it was pretty bad at the time anyway so I couldn't say for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts