ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a post earlier this week about how I had an injector that was making noise. Well, after talking to three technicians, they all strongly suggested that the noise may be a lifter. So, I added some detergent to the oil and the noise went away for a day and came back. I then drained the oil and idled the car for 20 minutes with a 50/50 mix of tranny fluid and oil, ran some top engine cleaner in the car, put in a can of intake cleaner, and finally drained the ATF and oil and put in some fresh oil with a small can of engine oil supplement...and I still have the noise. The engine runs fine (actually it runs better now after all the injector cleaner and other detergents I have put in it), it's just the noise persists. What should I do?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Try some 20W50 weight oil....sometimes lifter problems are helped by heavier oil.

The fact that the noise went away for awhile...means you might be able to "fix" by messing with oil and so forth.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My engine is running great, except for some really loud lifter noise, which seemed to get worse after i just did a synthetic oil change. With only 125k miles on it, can i expect it to last much longer before some major repair needs to be done?

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you have constant lifter noise...the shock in the valve train will eventually crap it out. Did you put a lightweight synth in there?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just Mobil1 Synthetic 10W30. Same weight I've always used, for both natural and synthetic oil. SHould I try a heavier weight, or worry about getting the lifters and all that stuff replaced?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.