ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mounted 2-6X9 speakers in the rear panel of my 80' 280zx (bought a new panel) it sounds pretty good, but I would like to install 2 sub woofers towards the front but I can't decide on a location that would produce good sound, be out of the way, and look good. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks Joseph

·
Registered
69 Posts
> I have mounted 2-6X9 speakers in the rear
> panel of my 80' 280zx (bought a new panel)
> it sounds pretty good, but I would like to
> install 2 sub woofers towards the front but
> I can't decide on a location that would
> produce good sound, be out of the way, and
> look good. any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated. thanks Joseph

Try either an 8 or a 10 inch sub behind the seat (passanger)
in a small truck style box.... Since bass is a non directional
sound, It should sound fairly decent....
A friend of mine has a 10th anniversary edition Z with 2 6x9's
in the rear and an 8 sub behind both seats. Total power is
200 watts and it thumps like crazy, sings like bird.... Sounds good
with everything from Bach to Metallica..He bought everything at
a flea market and paid uner 350 bucks... For everything.
Have fun.
Jesse

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
i just put a set of 12in subs all the way in the back with a sdk (best box company) box and a 400 watt la sound (more like 200) the speakers were at hh greag for 50bucks buy one get one free and the amp was about 200 at sears. i have 6x9s where the cargo compartments used to be and just cut a custom plate to mount them and i stil have the stock rear speakers in it. if you want real bass this is the best and just about only setup you could do. the subs if this big and this much power would have to be in the back so they dont cancel out the highs and mids (6x9) and ruin the effect. subs are non directional to a certant point. if you aimed your subs up you would get a diffrent effect. i have mine facing to the back of the car to prevent rattling. if you faced them in or to the sides you would also get a diffrent effect..
will
come.to/izcar

·
Registered
16 Posts

I had a similar setup in my 260 but used a bazooka 6 bass tube against the back panel.
The interior of a Z is pretty small, and it's an open space, so a big speaker is not necessary. I had a Sherwood 4 channel 200W amp with 50W going to the 6x9's and the other 2 channels bridged powering the tube, and an Alpine crossover unit . Enough bass for my personal liking with a nice midrange, and not terribly expensive.

If you are willing to ditch your spare you can have a a sub built into your spare tire well, that would work great cuz it wouldn't take up any space, and nobody would see it. The problem with stereo equipment in Z's is that it's all in plain site, especially sub's. Hide amps & crossover units under the seats, I made the mistake of not doing this and lost everything.

The problem with this setup is that all the sound came from the back. There's more to a stereo than loud bass, the ability of a system to produce a believable soundstage is the true test. Vocals should sound like they are coming from an area a few feet beyond your windshield.

A nice way to round off your system would be to install 1 dome tweeters in the front. I never got around to this, because somebody stole my whole system before i was finished, but i was thinking about putting them either on the top of the support pillars, or on the dash down by the windshield facing up.

The most important aspect of this setup is the crossover unit, you shouldn't just run pre-amp output to the amp and then to the speakers without a crossover. I would suggest an active crossover unit rather than the passive filters which suck up power. The active crossovers can run about 100 bucks. I found a crossover point of 100Hz to work very nicely, in conjunction with the 6x9's. But this would differ depending on which sub and speakers you were using.

Good luck, and remember when it comes to audio there is no right or wrong, as long as it fits in your budget and sounds good.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Just be warned that this can turn into an addiction. I always was going to get just one more piece for my stereo, then I'd be happy. $2000 later, and I swear all I need is some kickpanel enclosures and I'll be set <G>.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Mount the subs anywhere you want. Frequencies produced by the subs (20-60 Hz) are non-directional. The most important thing is having a correctly sized and tuned enclosure for them. Also be sure to use an appropriate crossover for the subs,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.