ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I was wondering where do you learn how to fix up cars? I know youtube and books, as well as forums, are a great place to learn but I want to be able to fix up my Z like a lot of the people who are more experience on this site eventually. I feel I learn better with more hands on work rather than reading about it. Anyone have any tips or advice?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
buy something cheap from the 80's and work on it. honda is a good bet lots of em around and not too complicated that you can't dopethings out. If you want a z get a 280zx. bulletproof engine. simple electronics. easy suspension. parts fairly available. the 240 to 280 are getting out of sight for money. toyota basically suck for my taste.

get some basic tools from Harbor freight. inexpensive well made. sockets, open end, box and combo wrenches in metric sizes. Screw drivers. philips #1 . #2 , and #3 . some flat blades. ratchet plus extensions. 1/4 and 1/2 drive. get some hand cleaner like GoJo or orange goop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Exactly what rogerz said. That's great advice.
The best way learn is to do it. Once you've been messing around with old cars for a couple of years and doing things. You'll pick up a lot of know how. Reading, watching how to videos and tech stuff on this forum can really help and give you a better idea of what to do.
Learning comes from doing, watching, asking and trail and error.
Remember you can always learn something. Search the forum and online for answers and just get some hands on expierience.
Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
buy something cheap from the 80's and work on it. honda is a good bet lots of em around and not too complicated that you can't dopethings out. If you want a z get a 280zx. bulletproof engine. simple electronics. easy suspension. parts fairly available. the 240 to 280 are getting out of sight for money. toyota basically suck for my taste.

get some basic tools from Harbor freight. inexpensive well made. sockets, open end, box and combo wrenches in metric sizes. Screw drivers. philips #1 . #2 , and #3 . some flat blades. ratchet plus extensions. 1/4 and 1/2 drive. get some hand cleaner like GoJo or orange goop.
Hey Rogerz, thank you I appreciate it! sorry I never noticed any notification for this. What would you recommend for work space?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly what rogerz said. That's great advice.
The best way learn is to do it. Once you've been messing around with old cars for a couple of years and doing things. You'll pick up a lot of know how. Reading, watching how to videos and tech stuff on this forum can really help and give you a better idea of what to do.
Learning comes from doing, watching, asking and trail and error.
Remember you can always learn something. Search the forum and online for answers and just get some hands on expierience.
Good luck!
awesome thank you so much! Really wanna fix up my own Zx, it was restored for me but the plans I have for it I'd love to do myself!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your local community college or a trade school should offer automotive classes. Or you can try and find a repair shop that offers an apprenticeship. Apprenticeships are the original 4 year degree.

Also, if you have friends that are more mechanically inclined, hang out with them and see if they can pass on some skills.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, the easiest way is to share passion with somebody who is more experienced. I had a situation like this with a friend who is working for DSRLeasing company and he taught me everything when I was living in states.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started with bicycles, you then figure it all comes down to nuts and bolts, from bicycles to rocket ship, you basically want to program your brain to reason and figure out solutions. before bicycles, it was legos and opening up my toys to see whats inside

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
You may want to get a 6-point sockets or set in small sizes up to 10mm for the smaller bolt heads and for those bolts and nuts not always reachable at a 90 degree angle. 12-points can jump off when used at an angle. Not a big problem usually, but .......
A magnetic bit holder for Philips head bits when you need to put downward pressure on the ratchet head/philips bit to get the ones out you can't twist hard enough with a screwdriver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts