ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should this be happening: I noticed a heavy gear oil smell after I filled the gearbox on my 83. Turns out there was a drop hanging from the speedo cable at some kind of fitting. I tightened it some more, but I dont think it helped. Is there a seal inside? Is oil suppose to get that high?

Thanks,
RbM

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Leaking Speedo Cable (Forgot)

The fitting in question is behind the dash. The tranny is dry...RbM wrote:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Re: Leaking Speedo Cable (Forgot)

There is a seal at the tranny. Normally, if this is bad, then gear oil (which can get that high) will leak, and drip near the connector at the tranny. I haven't heard of anyone with oil inside their car before.

Possibly the oil is being driven up the cable by the worm action of the cable? Or you have some sort of wierd pressurization problem either in your cab or in the tranny? Or someone prior to you lubed his speedo, and didn't know what he was doing. Maybe someone else has had this problem, and can explain it.

I might recommend that if the problem continues, you replace the cable, or at least replace the seal at the tranny end. If lubing a speedo cable, I've always been told to use powdered graphite, not gear lube. Hope that helped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.