ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, yes...I have another question! anyway, about 10 months ago I decided to go with laquer paint to try and get the most shine as possible. It was great for about 6 months, then it started to break down in the FL sun. Now I am left with a paint job with heavy, seemingly unremovable swirl marks and a much duller surface than I would desire. Can anyone suggest either the best way to restore lacquer paint? or possibly a reason why I should entertain the idea of repainting with enamel...

thanks, David

·
Registered
98 Posts
Laquer paint is very particular. Most people nowadays only use it on show cars and show bikes because it is a high maintenance type of finish. If you want to keep your laquer paint I would suggest taking it to a pro body shop and askng what it would cost to have it buffed. It will be difficult to keep this paint in primo conditon because it is so fragile. If you decide to repaint go with a base-clear paint, it is more expensive than acrylic enamel but if you put that wild candy apple red or other hard to match color on it and ever have to fix a fender bender or door ding it will be a lot easier to "blend" the base-clear and get it to match especially if it is a metallic paint. Hope this helps. Brett

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Go with catalyzed acrylic enamel. It is more expensive but it can take abuse (weather and etc.) better any laqcuer. You can also apply clear coats over it. Just pick the system and stick with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.