ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people,I have noticed that the plug wires for this swap dont go over the engine to the dist/elec-ign they come back around to the passenger side of the engine bay whats the deal with this -thinking of doing swap-?

· Registered
122 Posts
ok im curentily geting all the pices to do this swap.. .i curentily have a 1983 280zx turbo motor a RXZ inter cooler a 1982 280zx trans .. <came out of my car that got totaled i also have the computer and harness for the turbo motor> and its all going into a 1973 240z .. iv asked a few questions on this subject but no one seams to respond as fare as if you have all the wireing out of the turbo car you should be fine as fare as i know it should drop right in... .. .of corse it would help if i had a little more info such as will the drive shaft lenght work also will the fi fit under the hood .. any ways i guess ill all find it out in a week or so saying im doing the swap with in 4 weeks it has to be running and ways its just a matter of geting all the pices in the same place curentily the motor is at my house the wrecked car is sapose to be on the way to my house tommarow so i can gab the trans and the 240 is at a friends so im planing on puting the trans and stuff in the back of my dads truck and takeing that to my friends and doing it all there . any ways im guna jet....

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Check Ian's post in the Archives.

Within the past two months, I an has very clearly written out what wires hook where on the 240. Bay using logic, you can figure out, then if you have everything you need.
The inability to check the archives is a primary component of people not getting an answer to a question that's been asked and answered a thousand times before.
Believe me, guys, this is a VERY common swap, and these questions HAVE been covered.
As far as wiring and WHERE it runs in the 280ZX, it's really academic. My conversion had cutting and splicing of wiring harnesses so I could give an integrated look to my harness, and if thewires were too long or too short, I took care of it. If something is too long, coil it up until you get it running, and figure out what to do with it later.
If it's too short, graft more on to get where you need it to go.

· Registered
280 Posts
Re: Check Ian's post in the Archives.

If you are talking about the car of the month, like I think you are, the plug wires don't look normal because the owner is using an aftermarket distributerless engine management system.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Aaaahhh! That makes sense!

If indeed he is speaking about the High-Tension Spark Plug Wires, then, yes, it may be a Stand-Alone EFI System.
TEC2 has coil packs, and so does SDS, and htey usually mountthe unit on the passengers' fenderwell, making the shortest possible spark lead legnth!
For the stock swap, this is NOT how it's done, as all the wiring is the same: the wires would originate at the distributor, and any wires going over the other side of the comp[artment would be low-voltage for control and power requirements.
I'd missed that possibility in his original post, but when you posted that 24ozer, it lit the light! ;-b

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.