ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of a head swap on my 76 280z. I had a n42 head and a buddy of mine gave me a head out of his 81zx. The head he gave me is a P79 that's been polished and milled. I used his exhaust manifold and my intake. All seems to fit well, haven't finished yet so I don't know if it runs yet.

Anyways, didn't mean to drag on there, does anybody have a list of all the head numbers and years and types of heads, or can somebody tell me what kind of head the P79 is?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: L28 head

I don't remember but I think my car has slightly dished pistons. Will this cause my compression to be too low?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Are u sure about the dome top. I would think a flat top because the head has a protrusion into the combustion chamber, unless the domed piston you are refering to has a notch out for this.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts

yeah, usually dometop has valve recess. If you are going to use stock flattop pistons, then you should just use F54 block from 81on 280zx because it was better block and it came with flattop pistons.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
heres your info

heres a page that will tell you Everything you wanna know and then some....http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/z.html

I wonder if that shaved p79 head will rasie your compression enough to use on your dished block.

Justin T
1980 280ZX

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: heres your info

Thanks for the Link, I bookmarked it, great resource.

As for the head, I doubt it will produce the results I'm looking for. I can't be certain of the amount shaved off. Secondly, I don't want the hassle of figuring it out and then trying to shim everything back into place. I'll see if I can find an N47 head or, if I'm lucky a P90, in the junkyard and steal all the hardware off the P79.
While I'm at it, since I haven't any money anyway, I'll just pick up a 5-speed and a R-200 and maybe a turbo. It's really hard having no money when your such a big dreamer.

Thank you everybody for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.