ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a L28 in my 260. i am going to mate it with a E31 head. i was wondering what the performance gains will be ? How much horsepower and torgue? Does anyone have any figures? I know have a L24 with the E31. will i feel a difference?
thanks
matt

·
Registered
625 Posts
You will feel a huge difference in low end torque,but unless you install bigger 280 valves in the E31 head the HP gains will not be nearly as impressive.All things being equal,my 280 block was 6 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile than my 240 block with same N42 head.I ran my old E31 head on my 280 block while I ported my N42 head and it was way weaker than the N42 with the bigger valves! Later,norm

·
Registered
863 Posts
> I am going to install a L28 in my 260. i am
> going to mate it with a E31 head. i was
> wondering what the performance gains will be
> ? How much horsepower and torgue? Does
> anyone have any figures? I know have a L24
> with the E31. will i feel a difference?
> thanks
> matt
Don't do it unless you convert to the big L28 valves and unshroud them. In stock form the E31 doesn't make 10cents worth of difference when compared to the N42 (in fact with both heads in stock form the N42 gives you more HP and torque).
My question to you is why do you want to switch heads? The difference in combustion chamber cc's between the two heads is about 2cc's (the E31 is about 2cc's small then the N42 or N47, but the N42 is a better head with less mods). By the time you install L28 valves and unshroud them (if you don't unshroud the valves air flow through the head less then the N42) the heads are about identical.
What induction are you going to put on? I recomend the early 240Z intake and carbs. They are relitivly easy to tune and offer great performace.
I seen somewhere someone had a stock fresh build L28 with N47 head early 240Z induction and a header (forget the make) that pushed about 215HP at around 6000rpm (this is engine dyno numbers not rear wheel numbers). My brother has a simular setup in his 240Z, we don't have access to a dyno, but just be driving other cars I would say the 215HP figure I seen floating around is real.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.