ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I slap a small turbo (4 banger toyota) on my L26 or L28 without having to change my cam or do anything outright nasty to my motor? All's I want is a little boost! I have absolutely no experience with turbo's so if this is a dumb question, you'll just have to live with it.

· Registered
992 Posts
there's alot more to turbocharging a car than just "slapping" the turbo on. you're L26 is most likely carburated i'm not sure how that works wtih turbo but i'm sure you have to modify your intake. the turbo needs an oil line going to it and back from the oil pan. it goes on, it's not a bad idea but it's probably more work than it's worth. just my .02
Chris

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Better off...

Just swapping in an L28ET from a late model ZXT. THe 260 already has the large return line, and the components are designed to work together as a system. Unlike anything you could cobble together and slap on an L26.

· Registered
167 Posts
JCR sells a kit but it requires triple Mikuni carbs. I've heard bad things about boosting SU's. I would either mill the head or give it a standard overbore. That will raise the compression and consequently the horsepower as much as a small turbo, but without the lag time. Cost should be less than any feasible turbo option too.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Not even close, Mack!

Boosting the compression will give a minimal ammount of HP increase. Nowhere near what you would get from adding even a low-boost turbo, say, 5psi.
A 5psi unit would make a measurable increase in torque on an 8.5 C.R. motor, as well as HP, comparable to running something like 14:1 compression, but even that would be lower than what the Turbo adds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.