ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, everybody I some advice. I have a 72 240Z and would like a fuel injected monster of an engine but, not an L28 engine. I plan to use an L24E out of a Datsun 810 for my Fairlady. I want to get some real power out of it and keep the same displacement as the original motor. Does anyone know what upgrades are out there and what parts crossfit? A 5-speed motor will be on the back and an R-200 rear end.
Thnx in advance TJM

·
Registered
529 Posts
First of all, I'm not sure why you don't use an L28. The torque increase is substantial. In any event, here are my thoughts:

I'm not sure about the 810, but the Maxima L24E uses smaller rod journals and weaker 8mm rod bolts. If this is the case w/the 810, then I would recomend that you reuse your current L24 block. L24 rods w/9mm bolts are available from late '72 and '73 L24's. As far as block prep goes, you won't need to go crazy. The block should be cleaned meticulously after honing. Deburr the block's interior and plug the oil galleys w/pipe plugs and you should be done. Crank will need polishing and balancing at the very least. You should re-plug the oil holes in it as well. Rods will need resizing and you may think about using ARP rod bolts. They should be available from your engine builder. Balance all of the rotating/reciprocating parts.

The cylinder head is where your hp will come from. Cylinder head choice and prep will be the key factors in how the engine will perform. I would recomend the N42 head in this application. It has a small enough combustion chamber that the c/r will be reasonable. You may look into custom pistons that will increase the c/r to 10 or 10.5 to one. The c/r will also determine what cam you use and how to prep the head. There are many engine builders out there w/knowledge on how to prep the L-series heads for your application. However, IMO, a good street port and .490 lift, 290 degree cam would work well.

The intake manifold will also play a key role in making hp. I would recomend a Z-car manifold from '75 to '78. Casting # would be N42 or N47. These have a larger plenum and runners than the L24E manifold. 280ZX injectors and FI system should also be used. I would recomend the FI system from a ZX that uses an O2 sensor. These are a pretty good system. They are found on '81 and later ZX's. Header and 2.5 exhaust is obvious.

I would highly recomend the use of a 3:90 ratio R-200. This will help your L24E powered Z accelerate quickly. The R-200 can be found on ZX's but I can't remember specifically what year. Maybe someone else can help me out w/this one?

That's all I can think of. You should have no problem making 200 flywheel hp on a correctly built L24E. It should scoot along quite nicely. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Ian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.