ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to buy an engine hoist, and need to know approx weight of a complete L24 engine and tranny, and engine alone. My guess is between 500 and 1,000 lb- anyone have a better estimate?

Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Today you have an L24, tomorrow you may have a V8. Try and buy the strongest you can afford.

Also the lighter ones don't really allow you to extend the arm out much, which is quite important when trying to angle the L series in. The stronger ones allow that little bit extra, which makes life easier.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Yea, 325 pounds for the engine and 75 pounds for the tranny (so roughly 400 pounds total). I bought a 2000# engine lift for something like $150. I bought a 1000 pound hoist/pully for $50.

Any cheap engine hoist will be over 1000 pounds anyway, most are 1 ton.

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
Or Maybe...

"Dont let Tony D hear this question again he will go crazy, because it has been answered so many times!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Or maybe he'll simply shake his head and ignore it; focusing instead of noobs poking and prodding by using names they shouldn't...

Piece of advice, if you aren't answering the post keep yer yap shut.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Ironic, eh...

"Piece of advice, if you aren't answering the post keep yer yap shut."

Great!
Now I have a standard inarguable reply for future Tont D rants...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Ironic, eh...

Thanks, I am building an overhead one, and needed to know whether to buy the 1/2 ton or 1 ton chain hoist- bought the 1/2 ton cheapie ($50), but will now spend 1 hour at least degreasing the thing before I can use it.

BTW- I did seach on "engine weight" last 30 days, nothing came up, and I can't do a longer search at work over lunch 'cause the server times out.

and TonyD is much more selective about the posts he chooses to rant about :)

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Yea, the whole "new" format here is awfully slow.
Searches are doubly slow now.

500 pounds is THE MINIMUM. My personal safety limits pushed me to get the 1/2 ton pully instead. The latching/pully mechanism looked a lot beefier on the 1/2 ton. The 500 should work out fine but just be sure to pre-plan to minimize the time aloft and minimize the need to work around it while it's aloft.

Yea, I'm assuming the mods are also helping greatly on minimizing special character (i.e. [email protected]#$%^) rants.

Good luck with it.
You doing an overhaul yourself? If so the "how to rebuild you nissan ohc engine" book mentioned here a lot was a good read.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I want an overhead hoist, can get a good deal on a used 8000# winch but not such a good deal on building the structure in my shop to support everything. I guess I'd need to check with someone in construction on what would be necessary and safe.

Motor weight is one of the items you can search on and come up with a different answer every time. I believe Hybrid to be right with the weights.

Matt

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I just take the head off with intake and exhaust manifolds attached, seperate the trani. from the block, grab the block with 2 hands and put it on my bench. then remove Trani.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.