ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need any or all info on this swap,stuff like does the engine and tranny just drop in/how do I hook up computer stuff (engine management)I think it needs a diffrent fuel tank?etc.I have a complete 82 zxt for the swap what else on the car can I use?I cant seem to get any info ,I know they are out there I see them on z-car or read about them,any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hey Tony whats up? have you checked the archives on this? There should be alot of info. but heres the lowdown for you. Im nearing the end of my swap, so lucky for you it is all fresh in my head. My donor car was an 82zxt also. and heres what i took. engine, computer, tranny, rearend, driveshaft fits but has only a hair play, rear disc brakes. so pretty much the whole drivetrain will go in your 240Z with minor mods and some enginuity. The fuel tank idea Im still tossing around. I for sure am going to get rid of the spare tire hump, so that I can have better options than just 76-77 tank. Im either going to go with a plastic race fuel cell. or try to fit the tank out of the 82 in there also. Ill keep everyone posted on how this goes. This site helped me put my car together,, but there are still alot of cool ideas you can come up with in the process. like where to cut the firewall for the wires, and where to mount all the components for the engine management sytem, the relays and so on. Just try to enjoy it while you do this, because its really cool to see it come together.

Just start doing the swap, and when you get to the computer swap start posting specific questions. But basically, you going to want the whole ecu wiring harness. not the other harnesses just the ecu. you need the air flow meter, vacuum control modulator, and a couple relays. I went ahead and brought the zxt fuse box into the 240z also, this gives me alot of room to play with accesories, such as stereo, elec fans, and various other things.

The coolest part about this is that your kind of engineering your own Z in a way. taking what you like from all of them and incorporating them in one. And if theres certain things that you dont agree with nissan doing, you can fabricate your own. Make sure you have a service manual with good schematics, because your going to use it quite a bit.....hope this helps...Nitrouz boy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ditto to most of what Nitrouz Boy wrote. I installed a 280Z gas tank because it was designed to work with a fuel injected engine, where-as the 240Z was not. Some of the things that many people forget to mention about doing this swap is that you will need to install a larger return line for fuel. There are several lines that go back to the tank, but none of them are large enough and will cause problems. The 280Z tank fits right where the 240Z tank is. You will also need to mount the TURBO fuel pump and damper back near the tank. There are existing wires back to connect to the fuel tank. These wires run to an unused 2 wire plug (green and black wires) near your fuse box.

Like NitrouZ Boy said, this is an involved process that requires you to just DO IT, and ask a lot of questions on this site as you go along. The frustration you will experience at times is WELL WORTH THE REWARD. You will have a SICK-fast car. You will laugh at ANY Mustang and beat most Vettes.
Check out my 240ZXT:

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/chaz240zxt/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.