ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install my new shocks on all 4 corners. Any tips or advise from anyone who has done it before?

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
Couple of pics:

This is trying to hold that bar steady in the middle, but even all these vice grips wouldn't hold:

This is the easier solution that we didn't catch onto until later:

*Note: It's not likely you'll be able to break that bolt loose doing it as pictured. Try substituting the bottom wrench for vice grips and laying the assembly on the ground. Once it breaks loose you can proceed to do it the pictured way.

Post Edited (Jan 24, 9:26pm)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Z1, is that bolt on that tight! I wonder if a good soaking in blaster would help? I guess once the bolt is off then the rest is easy eh. Btw those wheels are zweet!

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
That shaft would still spin freely though right?

Mikz, yeah it's on pretty tight. PB Blaster will help, but by no means make it easy. Soak it well, use caution (you could round off the top--we did this and had to weld a bar to the shaft), and you should have no problems.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
My method is much simpler pay someone about $120 to do take the springs off of the struts and have them put the springs on the new struts. Much safer that way.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
^^^^yep i agree, less hassle too

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I would rather buy them put together from the seller as a package - KYB and Eibach Pro Springs. Like wheels and tires - get the package in the mail and just remove and install.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The over/under method worked just fine for me, but I also had the bottom of the strut cartridge clamped in a vice so I could work without bending over.

My only advise is to be careful. Once you have the springs compressed, they are dangerous. If the spring compressors slip, you can get hurt.

Other than that, my change-out went very smooth, just time consuming.

Good Luck,

Glen
78 280Z
94 300ZX 2+2

·
Registered
941 Posts
just FYI they make a tool that holds onto the top of that bar and has a socket that fits over it so you can hold the bar still while you break the nut lose. just so you know though the KYB AGX's need a seporate (larger) tool from the stock strutts.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
You can get hurt??? Thats an understatment. Its more like you could walk away missing an arm and maybe not walk away cause your missing a leg or your head was just taken off by a spring when the compressor slipped. When doing stuff like this that actually can be dangerous be real real carefull.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.