ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my KYB shocks today. Is there a link on installation? And how hard would it be for a "do it yourself" kind of person? I have removed all the rear plastic panels so the rear mounts are all exposed. Is a 4 way allignment recommened after install? I also got all the hardwear kit that Coz ("the man") recommened.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It is not hard, it is however, very time consuming for someone who does not do it often. It took me the better part of a day to do the rear.

Glen
78 280Z
94 300ZX 2+2

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
It's essentially 3 bolts per wheel.

1) Jack up the car and put it on jackstands. Take the wheels off of course.

2) Begin by removing all the bolts at the top of the strut tower. Then go back and remove the bolt at the bottom of each strut.

3) Each coilover is independent, so you can remove them from the car without the spring compressors attached. It's a bear though--use a pry bar and a friend to help you move the suspension down to give you more clearance. Make sure the car is stable!

4) Once the coilover assembly is off, you can now begin to disassemble it. This part's tricky. There's a bolt at the top of the assembly that has to be removed in order to take the "cap" off, but when you try to turn it the shaft that runs down in the middle of the spring turns freely with the bolt. Put on the spring compressors until you can feel the play in the spring. Put a vice grip (or something equally gripping) on the flat part of the top of the bar. After it is SECURE you can begin to remove the 17mm (14mm rear) bolt at the top of the shaft. Sometimes on this step the vice grips slipped off and rounded the top, so we ended up welding a steel bar to the shaft and removing the bolt from there. Once the bolt is off you can begin to release the spring compressor and disassemble. Take note of how everything comes off.

5) Reassemble using the new equipment. There are some rubber pieces that you'll have to glue on the front one (I didn't do it, so I couldn't tell you which ones).

6) Put it all back on the car in reverse order. Be careful to make sure every bolt is tight, and it would be a good idea to jack the car up in a few hundred miles and check their tightness.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have a side question here. Do any of the Nissan sellers have the KYB and Springs preassembled and ready for install as a package? Or are there some parts that you have to reuse from the old setup like rubber perches?

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
Chris says that Coz sells a kit to replace everything but springs and struts for $250. I reused all my old stuff, and if I can, you can too.

Otherwise you'll need to buy a complete coilover system, like Tein, JIC, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.