ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Al 260Z I think you were right again. While replacing my shifter bushings on my 78 280z, I noticed "hey Chris (that's me), you can actually see the front driveshaft u-joint from the driver seat....maybe that's where the vibration/clunking is coming from....well, low and behold...started it up without all the shifter boots and such, one foot on the brake, the other on the clutch...engaging and disengaging...was able to see the u-joint twist and show signs of play....so I think (hope to god) that is all that has to be fixed. NOW for the QUESTION. Can I remove that big-ass metal shield between the exhaust and the driveshaft without taking apart the exhaust? Just how high must I raise this vehicle to be able to get it out? Any pointers on getting this driveshaft out? thanks!
chris

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
To remove the drive shaft, first drop the rear sway bar. Once that is out of the way you need to remove the 4 12mm bolts that holds the shaft to the diff flange. You will need two 12mm open end wrenches and some penetrating spray. Put the tranny in neutral and remove each nut (with the tranny in neutral, you can spin the shaft so you can get to all the bolts). Once the four bolts are out, push the shaft towards the front (into the tranny), thus breaking it free from the diff flange. Then you pull it out of the tranny.... but you will loose all of your tranny fluid when you do this. Try to buy a transmision plug set. When the shaft is removed, you insert the plug into the rear of the tranny, keeping the fluid in.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Also you may want to...

replace the 4 bolts that bolt the shaft to the diff flange. Only use new ones from Nissan! Your local dealer may have them in stock or can have them for you in a few days. Also you may want to replace the rear seal on the tranny. Again only use one from Nissan or Motorsports. The MSA one will cost a little over $6.00. I went through this last month... tried one from all the local parts stores (advance, autozone, carquest, napa...) all were not as deep as the stock one. Went with MSA. I semared some vaseilene on the seal before using a small block of wood to help drive the new seal in.Your driveshaft bolts will probably be rusted... may end up rounding off the ends, so get new ones from Nissan. Use some anti sieze on the threads when reinstalling them.
You may have to install new tranny fluid too. I recommend Redline MT90. You should be able to buy it localy, check the yellow pages in the Auto section for performance/racing supplies. You will need 3 qts of MT-90. The average cost per qt is $7.25 to $8.00 each. I you can't get it localy, try this web site:

http://www.auto-motor-oil.com/redline.html

Before you drain the tranny, be sure you can remove the filler plug. You will need a 17mm open end wrench, which will fit perfectly on the filler bolt. Again use some anti-sieze on the threads. The drain plug uses a 1/2" ratchet drive.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
what year is your Z?

If you have a '75-'83 your driveshaft joints are not replaceable. There are some driveline shops that can do a overhaul... if the have done it before and know what parts to get. Would probably be cheaper to buy new driveshaft from MSA with the replacable joints. Of course you can get another one from a junkyard, but you never will know how long it will last.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Re: what year is your Z?

MSA is Motorsports Auto, in Orange, CA. You should have a cataloge, if not get one from the links section.
What big metal sheild are you talking about? There should be nothing surrounding the driveshaft from the tranny to the rear diff. There is a metal shiield surrounding the stock exhaust pipe where it comes down to the resonator or cat. converter... but that is not in the way of the driveshaft. Are you talking about the round metal tube that comes out of the rear of the tranny housing? If so, that is pressed in, so dont mess with it. No need to remove! You may have a large lead plate attached to the rear cross member, that will need to be removed so you can get to the rear driveshaft bolts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: what year is your Z?

I've got a big stock metal "shield" that totally hides the entire driveshaft...separating it from the exhaust.....it bolts onto the bottom of the car and bows up and over the exhaust, but under the driveshaft....hopefully it'll come off without having to drop the front of the exhaust (i think i did it a looong time ago with my first 78Z). I'll order a catalog from MSA now....thanks again!
chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.