ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I retrofit an inexpensive air filter onto my 2 open carbs??
Which filters do I use???
How do they attach???

I need a cheap fix, I don't want ot drive it without some type of filter on it...

Thanks,

wade

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Carbs on a '78??

Hi
Believe you have two dual barrelcarbs.
There is a original filterbox available (Try Motorsport Auto) or two smaller boxes like the ones on webers, it would be easier if I knew what kinds of carb you are using.
Second, I also have a 1978 280Z but why does your car carry carburettors??

Curious Regards
Marte Carlsson

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Carbs on a '78??

I'm not sure which carbs I have, I can't seem to find any identification. They are cylindrical shaped..

I was told that the original engine blew... And was replaced with a 300z engine.. I don't think so, though.. It's a straight six, with two carbs..no breather..It also has a 4 speeed manual transmission... Very strange.... The interior lights were not connected and the Tach doesn't work..
This car is a project car.... It has some rust, but I got it relatively cheap... I think I'm going to drive it for a while and then rebuilt the engine and do some body work. The inside is relatively stock...
I just want some type of protection for the engine, and myself (drips gas from open carbs). I'd like to go cheap, till I figure out what I'm getting myself into...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Are they domed bells or right angle?

When viewed from the side are they domed or do they have a sharp corner. Domed are the 240 su's (good) and the other is Solex built, I think, and are good deep sea fishing lures.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE:Engine ID

What type of engine it is can be seen on the right side of the block.
Look for a plate at the top of the rear of the cylinder block.
L24 means the 146" 240Z engine and L26 means the 157" 260Z engine.

Opie mentioned Solex carbs, but I'm sure the carbs are made by Hitachi, but they look and work like Solex carbs.
Dripping fuel? dangerous, since the exhaust runs under them!
Dismantle the carbs and check for vroken sealings immediately.

Hope it helps
Marten Carlsson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.