ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Read Only
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well what i use since i dont drive my Z in the winter anyhow and the rear defrost doesnt work in the same event is the rear defrost switch. i run it with the regular wiring to my starter. without that engaged it will not start turn over anything. i like it and it works well. james
pittsburgh pa

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well it seems our cars can be stolen.
Lets talk about kill switches.
Can I ask all you who know about great kill switches to share with the rest of us your wisdom? I lost my voice from those 3 ½ hours of ****. I had a very bad experience and we need to prevent this from happening to others as well as ME…Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
What about switches we can have close to the driver…something.
Maybe those of us without rear view mirror heaters could use that other mirror control plate with the switch. I had it set up on another car that you needed to turn the radio on to start it. Loads of ideas we need to gather. Please lets all join in and talk kill switches.

Madeline and Kristine
Hollywood Cops found my car Whoopie

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Just put a switch in the most unlikely place you can think of. Or use an existing switch like some other have sugested. You could use the hazzard lights swtich, no one whould ever suspect it. Run your hazzard lights to another switch incase you ever need them. or you could use the cigarette lighter as a switch(not sure how that works).

Just some ideas never tried them, because I dont need kill switchs where I live.

Justin T
1980 280ZX

·
Registered
241 Posts
THE BIG PROBLEM

I've seen the starter signal wire brought down to the center console in a push button in that place where the factory radio speaker selector thing was. If it was not pointed out to me, I would not have known anything was different, and the wie that they would be looking for in the colum would be dead.

HERE IS ANOTHER ISSUE THAT NEED BE ADRESSED.>>>>>>>>>

In the doors and ignitions of z's and 510's alike, one key often works in another car!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which might explain why your car was stolen, I'd assume locked, and driven a mile where they stole a cb --- WITH NO DAMAGE. I locked my keys in my car infront of GENOCIDE's place, so I borrowed his keys. It worked. My car only has 117000 kilometers, not too high, and not too worn out. This is the big problem. A person could have a handfull of datsun keys and chances are he can have your car with that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had one that was up under the dash and hidden from view, but the idea of a stock switch works well too.

Another idea is the use of a rev-limiter, I've seen the Crane Hi-6 that has an adjustable revlimiter on it that allows you to set it with the turn of a screw. Set it to 1000 RPM and they'll have a hard time getting anywhere. this should be used with the kill switch as a backup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first thing I do whenever I get a car is install a decent stereo in it. the second thing I do is install a better alarm/antitheft. even really cheap aftermarket alarms often have built-in kill switches. and if they don't, its relatively easy to wire in a relay to the ignition switch from the alarm. they say alarms don't stop thieves, but if they can't start the car, they won't get very far. just a siren is kinda worthless, I usually disengage those and just use the kill switch and whatever else is included with the alarms(usually keyless entry and whatnot). I'm sure most of us are capable of splicing a few wires here and there. just a hint for mounting locations, I have my alarm control module on the panel underneath the steering wheel. the one with the light on it. there's plenty of space behind there and it makes wiring a snap. just my 2¢.

Neal Seidman

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm using this guy - here.
i use it in conjunction with a clutch lock.

what i did specifically ..
1) killed power to the fuel pump
- but if you pull up the carpet in the hatch everything looks fine. i bought another fuel pump connector at the junkyard, plugged the existing connector into the automotive relay under the toolboxes, and routed the 'new' connector back out and into the stock location.
2) put led in air vent in center of dash
- put additional toggle switch behind the radio that cuts power to just the led, in case i want to turn it off without turning off the kill switch. also, if a thief finds that switch and turns it off, he'll probably think he's done but the car will still be immobilized.
3) put reed switch on inside of plastic on radio housing
- i put a refrigerator magnet that looks like a child's toy in the car.. i swipe it by the radio housing to beat the kill switch.
4) put activating pushbutton behind the hood release latch
5) what i want to do at some point
- rewire connections using spade connectors, so if a thief yanks on the pushbutton or any other wires he finds he'll end up with wires in his hands that lead to nothing, meaning he won't be able to trace his way to the relays.

i feel a little safer when i park.. although i still want an alarm, cause someone could ignore the blinking led and break in.. and although he wouldn't get my car he'd take home 2 amps, a 10" sub, and maybe a cd deck (it's in the glovebox).

good luck :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I saw a cool convertible Z with a key lock in the middle of the console that closed off the hydraulic line leading to the rear brakes. He would push in the brake all the way, then lock it using the key. I suppose a determined thief could just give it enough gas to try and drive away anyway but it would be difficult.

Another thought is to use a kill switch that you trigger by remote. Some of the auto door lock things have two buttons - one for the locks and another to open the hatch or whatever. The second switch could turn on the starter switch for 2 minutes or whatever.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What I've got is a digital starter interrupt. Its like those new encoded keys. I have this little pea-pod shaped thing that I have on my keychain. It has a digital chip in it and there is a reciever built somewhere into the ignition (I don't know where). If this thing isn't on your keychain, the car won't start. I tried, and nothing. It completely cuts out the electric system. In addition, the professional shop where I had it installed uses all black wires, so it is extremely difficult to hot wire. Plus, there is a little red light that blinks on the dash when there is no signal from the transponder, so I guess that deters thieves further.

This thing cost me about $600 canadian installed (about $400 US?) and I think its a good little piece of protection.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Justin I think you are on to something here.
Using the empty hole used by that stereo switch.
I have an extra lighter assembly and I planned on putting it in this spot.
Perfect fit; use the lighter to connect the circuit.
I like putting our heads together, great ideas.
But what would be a low current device we can divert to this or other location?

Madeline and Kristine
Hollywood

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
My suggestion

Never install a kill switch for your starter, or battery. If a theif breaks in and it wont crank, he will either A. Run. Or B. Start looking for a switch.

The 2 best switches you can install are for the Ignition, and Fuel pump. The fuel pump is the easiest to do, just run 1 hot wire from the fuseblock, put a fuse and rocker switch inline with it, run it to the pump, and run a ground wire from to pump to a good ground. Put the switch under your dash, or under your seat.

Both switches will allow your car to crank, but never start.

Some people will argue that a kill switch to the fuel pump will fry your injectors if a theif tries to steal it. Well whats better, replacing 6 injectors, or having to go find a new Z?

Alarms wont do a **** thing, how often have you run over to a car when the alarm is going off? Never.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Lighter....

The problem with lighters is...

#1. They get hot, you put 12 volts to it, and push in the lighter to close the circut, and it will get hot.

#2. They do go bad, I am sure by now you have found a car with a broken ciggarette lighter, not somthing you want out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Alarms....

Thieves steal cars for a living, some thieves are very professional at their work.

Thieves are smart, They read how to get past alarm systems.

How often have you rushed over to a car with its alarm going off in a parking lot?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey all,
That keyed break switch is available at Summit Racing Equipment At http:www.summitracing.com . Here is another Idea, You can get door locks that use the barrel type keys which are real hard to pick, a friend at work son replaced his stock with them when his car was broken into he also used the dimmer switch on the floor as a kill switch ( it was an older U.S. manufactured car ) the switch was under the carpet at the top of the floor board where the fire wall meets the floor board. I suppose you could do the same thing using the area by the cornering foot rest on our Z's. Well thats it for me, let's keep our z's in check....Bert

congrats to Madeline on the return of her baby! Great news!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Re: Lighter....

To repair the brocken lighters just take a plastic pen and flair out the 2 retainers, this fixes it for another 20 years.
I would remove the coil and what we have is a ground interuption.
Push it in and the ground will flow, so we will be switching the ground of something yet unknown. I need to find a ground wire that will be close by and stop the engine. Any ideas gals and guys.

Madeline
Florida

·
Registered
957 Posts
Re: $150 sears battery...

Hi All
if you dont want to opt for having to go through kill switches and what not Sears has a battery for @ $150 that has a remote control kill switch...just hit the button and no juice be flowing except to keep your clock going....

Alarms are pretty useless however i like the pager ones so that hopefully you can get to thre car fast enought to kick the ever loving crap outta the would be theif (better if they break into garage! Bang!!!)

I remember when I lived in Fla. most of the big time theives drove flat beds and would just pull up to a nice looking benz,beemer or sports car and start loading it up...most people completly ignored it thinking it was being towed by the city or just broken down......You see em going down the road and the cars lights are flashing and the alarm is going......

Z ya alter
Mike K

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I just take the rotor out of the distributor with me when i leave. How many thieves have a rotor for a 71' 240 on them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.