ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay I dont know what wrong with ford but they make sucky cars. I was on a road and the guy reved up his mustang and me and a friend was in my car. reved my car to tell him I m ready to rumble. I keep my rpms at 3,000 and when the light turn green I was gone. All the guy could see what the lights behind my car. When we got to the next light. I had to turn but the guy look pissed. Now should I start putting a mustang on my car with the x. This been the 6 mustang I kicked

·
Registered
996 Posts
What Z do you have and what is done to it? I have a Z and a mustang, so I'm familiar with both. If you keep beating the stangs as easy as you say your Z must run pretty good. Just curios.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bring it on!

I too have both a mustang and (2)Z cars. I can tell you there is no way a Z will ever come close to outrunning my mustang in a straight line unless you have a V8 or a super trick NO2/turbo motor in your Z. Sooner or later you will come up against a well set up 'stang and find out they aren't as lame as you think. Both cars have their positives and negatives - and enthusiasts of varying degrees. "Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water"

·
Registered
625 Posts
ROGER???? Whats your car turn in the 1/8 or 1/4

I have smoked V8 Stangs with ease for years. i do not have a V8 blower or nitrous. Now of course if youve spent a crapload of money on your Stang and got nitrous or blowers on it then you might win. Later,norm

·
Registered
625 Posts
Smoked em with 2.4L as well as 2.8L + 2.9L

When I ran my 2.4L engine I turned a [email protected] 99.6mph in the 1/4. My 2.8 L 240Z turned a 13.4 @ 101.5 on regular STREET tires. And as of yet I have not made it down to Rockngham to test out the 2.9L. last i checked Car and Driver a brand new $28000 Cobra only ran a 13.8 in the 1/4 mile. Don't underestimate the power of an N/A Z!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
You never know what your going to get when you line up with a stang. I have a big ol slug 95 conv. 5.0 loaded, leather nice stereo everything I bought it for my daily driver or slow car(he he) but I have a few tricks up my sleeve to and have yet to be beat by a Z even ZX turbos, except for my Z. I have to say I don't see many nice Z's where I live most are ragged but there was one that wanted to challenge me top end on the freeway. He was quick until about 130 then I ran off, he could never get within 3 cars of me from a stop to 150. His Z is nice, he's a friend, it was a fun run especially since I had the top down. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I don't believe Z's beating stangs cause mine does but I have a boat load of money and time in mine and ones like that are few and far between. By the way both cars are normally aspirated and have never seen laughing gas.

Later
Matt

Ps What is the setup of your Z?

·
Registered
996 Posts
RE: Smoked em with 2.4L as well as 2.8L + 2.9L

Hey Norm,
How ya been? I am curios to see what your car turns the 1/4 in now too. It sounds like you are good at tuning and building without breaking the bank, I admire that. It is hard for me to let this junkyard discussion drop but I don't want to start trouble in the forum. I have had lots of luck and good deals from yards, sounds as though you have too. I didn't used to have money but know I am fine with my new job so I have actually paid to have a few things done and even though my mechanic is great and fair it still eats at me cause I know if I had the time I could do it for free. Looks like your Z would pull my stang just like my Z does. Feels good to take the underdog to the podium doesn't it!

Keep it shiny side up
Matt

·
Registered
625 Posts
Matt, info on my Z

Heres my setup I'm runnin in my 71 240Z.The bottom end is 2901 cc with a diesel crank, stock 280 rods and 280 pistons shaved .015" and with each assembly balanced to 1445 grams.I have .65" positive deck clearance and am running two fel pro head gaskets for a ,35"piston to head clearance .Compression ratio is 10.6:1 with an N42 head shaved .70" with a mild port and polish job and a very mild 272/282 duration .460 lift Crane cam. Dual SU carbs with performance needles and narrowed throttle shafts and dual K+N filters. Motosport 3 into 2 header with 2 1/2 inch exhaust and 2 chamber Flowmaster muffler. Electronic ignition off a 78 datsun 810.A 3.9 R200 out of an 83 280ZX and a 82 5 speed with a 79 280 Z input shaft for lower gear ratios in 1st,2nd,3rd and 5th gears . Later,norm

·
Registered
345 Posts
RE: ROGER???? Whats your car turn in the 1/8 or 1/

With street tires and the headers uncorked low 13's. With slicks and a good launch high 12's. No NO2.

·
Registered
345 Posts
BTW Norm

My stock 240 did low 15's and my 280 about the same, on a great day with the right launch high 14s. I don't doubt a tricked out Z can get down in the 12's but it takes a lot - and I mean a lot of work to get there. And if you do get there the car will not be reliable for extensive street use. If you spend much time going through the "eyes" you know that's fact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.