ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced my fuel injectors and the fuel rail on my 77 280Z. The original fuel rail was a one piece but I replaced it with a two piece fuel rail. After replacing the fuel rail I was left with two fuel lines with no attachment. Two of my fuel lines had no where to be attached. I was told to plug the two lines and I did.The car did start but it later began to miss and idle to high in first and second gear. It also later began to have trouble as if the plugs were bad. I had trouble starting the car and then replaced the plugs a second time and the car started right up.The car ran for a while and then started to repeat the same actions.My question is this do I have to replace the fuel rail with a one piece or is the fuel rail just hooked totally wrong. the fuel injectors are new, all the filters are new, the fuel line is all new fuel hose,and I've replaced almost everything dealing with ignition and fuel. I'm thinking that there is too much pressure in the fuel rail.If anyone knows if the spark plugs can be fouled out by too much pressure or flow of gas please let me know. Please send any suggestions.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Your problem may also be that you need to retune your AFM to match up with the new injectors. Many aftermarket injectors are not the exact same size as the Nissan ones, thus richening or leaning out yor mixture. If all the plugs are fouled then check your pressure (around 30-32 at idle). If this is OK then lean out your mixture at the AFM. Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Sounds like you got the wrong part, and are trying to make it work. You have two V8 fuel rails. What you need is one single six position rail.

Possible problems you are having:
Pressure issues in half the rail. If you don't have a pressure feed to both rails, and a return that goes to a regulator, you will have pressure problems.

Assuming you hooked everything up correctly, perhaps you haven't built up enough pressure yet? Unplug the starter solenoid (black plug in wire), and turn the key to start. The pump will run for as long as you hold the key in start. You can hear when the pressure builds and settles.

An idea for the extra holes might be to hook one of them up to your cold start valve. The other one can be plumbed to a fuel pressure gauge.

Best bet is to buy a purpose designed fuel rail. They aren't very expensive, look nice, and if installed right, can increase your performance (less heat soak, more fuel volume available).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can I find the purpose designed fuel rail?Is it a special order part or do the regular auto stores carry them.Zuber wrote:
>
> Sounds like you got the wrong part, and are trying to make it
> work. You have two V8 fuel rails. What you need is one
> single six position rail.
>
> Possible problems you are having:
> Pressure issues in half the rail. If you don't have a
> pressure feed to both rails, and a return that goes to a
> regulator, you will have pressure problems.
>
> Assuming you hooked everything up correctly, perhaps you
> haven't built up enough pressure yet? Unplug the starter
> solenoid (black plug in wire), and turn the key to start.
> The pump will run for as long as you hold the key in start.
> You can hear when the pressure builds and settles.
>
> An idea for the extra holes might be to hook one of them up
> to your cold start valve. The other one can be plumbed to a
> fuel pressure gauge.
>
> Best bet is to buy a purpose designed fuel rail. They aren't
> very expensive, look nice, and if installed right, can
> increase your performance (less heat soak, more fuel volume
> available).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.