ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats better to replace the airbox or just the filter. I can buy a K&N for my 260 with a 240 motor. Should i buy the new housing or just get the replacement filter? What works better . they are the same price
thanks
matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
I'm curious myself

> Whats better to replace the airbox or just
> the filter. I can buy a K&N for my 260 with
> a 240 motor. Should i buy the new housing or
> just get the replacement filter? What works
> better . they are the same price
> thanks
> matt

I'd like to know the options for K&N filters as well.. what works best and costs the least. I keep hearing something about using PVC pipe to mount them somehow, but having never seen what the housings look like I can't really visualize how that would work.

Pictures of the different setups would be most helpful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Re: I'm curious myself

The PVC system is used on the fuel injected models and replaces the blue box that hoses the air filter. The filter sits in front of the radiator adn the pvc is used to connect to the afm. I'm at work so don't have time to check the archives, but I know some of the guys have posted pictures of it. Check those archives.

As for the z's with carb's, I can't elp too much there. Anyone else?

rbest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Re: I'm curious myself

The PVC system is used on the fuel injected models and replaces the blue box that houses the air filter. The filter sits in front of the radiator and the pvc is used to connect to the afm. I'm at work so don't have time to check the archives, but I know there are posted pictures of it. Check those archives.

As for the z's with carb's, I can't help too much there. I don't think you would need the pvc on those models. Anyone else?

rbest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
I'm assuming you have SU's? get rid of the big nasty box! K&N makes air filters just for the Z's with SU's and many other configurations. The part number I bought was 56-1410, they cost 41.99 each. They are a little tight going in, but look great and provide unbelievable air flow...I literally had to richen my mixture to keep up with the air. I got a little K&N breather filter too, to top it off. SWEEEEET!!! I highly recommend this upgrade, and never buy another Air filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Re: K&N Filtercharger??? Where do all those ot

> I'm assuming you have SU's? get rid of the
> big nasty box! K&N makes air filters just
> for the Z's with SU's and many other
> configurations. The part number I bought was
> 56-1410, they cost 41.99 each. They are a
> little tight going in, but look great and
> provide unbelievable air flow...I literally
> had to richen my mixture to keep up with the
> air. I got a little K&N breather filter too,
> to top it off. SWEEEEET!!! I highly
> recommend this upgrade, and never buy
> another Air filter.

Been thinking about the conversion for some time. my question is where does all the rest of the hoses from the SU that are originally connected to the ugly box go? thanks for the tips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Re: K&N Filtercharger??? Where do all those ot

> Been thinking about the conversion for some
> time. my question is where does all the rest
> of the hoses from the SU that are originally
> connected to the ugly box go?
> thanks for the tips.
If your running the SU's you should keep the roange air box and just buy the K&N that goes in it. The only hose you need is the one that goes to the top of the cam cover or you can replace that hose with a K&N crank-case breather element. The oeange air box is a good idea to keep because 1:it opens twords rhe front of the engine where , if some careful steps are taken, it can get cool, fresh air from outside the engine compartment 2: it has the velocity stacks built on to the backing plate for increased air flow 3: it is cheaper to buy the single K&N for the box than the two for use without the box. The velocity stacks are the most important factor in the air flow game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Stock Velocity stacks are a restriction

I cut the stock velocity stacks out of my airbox and mounted them on the carbs under my dual K&N airfilters and guess what? The car SLOWED DOWN.I tried it three times and each time it was a tenth of a second SLOWER in the 1/8 mile!! They do not have a properly radiused lip. However, I hope to try some high quality TWM velocity stacks this year as they should increase HP.The stock airbox is WAY too restrictive. I have posted this before ,but when I changed my airbox out for dual K&N airfilters ,my 0-100 time dropped about 3 seconds.I know it sounds like BS, but it is true.I tried it both ways within the same hour at least three times and each time it was close to three seconds faster 0-100.The car was totally stock at the time, with the exception of a free flow muffler. It is without a doubt the best BANG for your BUCK mod that you can do. Later ,norm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: K&N Filtercharger??? Where do all those ot

If you think the stock air box is better than the K&N's, you obviously have never run the K&N's. Think what you like, but the K&N's made a huge difference in my power immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: YOU are high

If you think the stock air box is better than the K&N's, you obviously have never run the K&N's. Think what you like, but the K&N's made a huge difference in my power immediately.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top