ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting the K & N Filtercharger on my 1980 280ZX. I have seen posts about using PCV pipe and elbows and so forth to plumb the filter but I thought that looked kinda not very...uh...automotive. So I went to my local performance parts store and bought a 3" mandrel bent 90 deg piece of exhaust pipe. It looks to be about 6" radius. The pipe cost about $18. My ZX is n/a so I just disconnected the stock air box and emissions tube. I put a short piece of flat strap on the elbow close to the expanded end with two self tapping screws and drilled a hole in the end and bent it so it would reach the front air box mounting bracket. I put some vaseline on the end of the tube and it fit perfectly into the rubber connector on the intake and the filter fit on the other end with a little persuasion. I bolted the bracket to the airbox mount and looks like it was designed that way. The filter makes a noticable difference in the performance.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Used a 3" Diameter Tubing...

from the local muffler shop, but I had it powder coated black to look "automotive," after I cut it down to size with a hack saw. If there's anyone out there who doesn't have a muffler shop close by, J.C. Whitney has 3" diameter, 90 degree, mandrel-bent aluminized tubing for $20.49. My "ZX Slim Ram Air Kit" cost less than $60, including filter and bracket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.