ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gotta a quick question for you. . . I pretty much finished the LED conversion of the guages/pods, but the only thing I haven't gotten to work is the LED's for the up/down arrows on the climate control. Now the red led lights up just fine, but I have a blue LED in the same hole/same circuit, but it doesn't light up. I seem to rmember the whole "path of least resistance thing", and I know the RED LED is supposed to use [email protected], while the BLUE LED is like [email protected]

Do you think that would cause it not to come on? I don't know how else I would run it if thats the case. I guess just get a white led or two instead of separate colors, that way the voltage and mA is the same.

Thanks for any info you may have! I'll post pics of my work if I can get that arrow ordeal figured out.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Yep - your reasoning is correct. Those LEDs have different electrical characteristics and can't really be wired in parallel.

What I did was to use a blue and white LED since both of those have the same electrical characteristics. FYI -- White LEDs are just Blue ones that have a special florescent coating that makes them glow (grayish) white. On the white LED I placed a piece of red cleopane wrapping (a cough drop wrapper) then used a small piece of small diameter heat sink tubing on barrell of LED to make the red wrapper fit nice and tight.

I only went thru all this trouble because I thought the red tint gave the arrows a nicer, fuller coloring. The white LEDs also put out a fair amount of light - so it was a win/win.

Hope this helps? Be sure to post some pix once you get it all working.

Fun project huh? -- takes a bit of effort getting that digital climate pod all apart w/out breaking anything too!

Post Edited (Jan 14, 9:22pm)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.