ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy had a red/black 1980 ZX 10AE, #2052/3000. Did a quick search on zcar, looks like it was bluemule42? Here's a thread where he was talking about it. Here's where he says he bought it for $300. He was trying to get $28K for it. Told the pawn guys that it could be worth $60k. They offered him $4k, then walked awayafter a test drive.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I just saw this episode today. He should have taken it to his car rebuilder, Nuts & Bolts, that rebuilt the old man's 66 Imperial. The miss could have been something as simple as a loose or fouled plug or wire, bad or misfiring injector. Or something really bad! They didn't look for rust, either. Sounded like it needed a valve adjustment.

Rick was right, though: "rare", and "limited edition" don't necessarily equal "valuable". Especially if he has to overhaul the auto tranny, plus figure out the engine problems, plus repaint. The owner had a red rug on the dash, so it's probably got a Grand Canyon set of cracks in the vinyl.

I bought my ZX because I like the cars, not as an investment to make money from. The pawn shop is in business to make money, so they have to be careful. And sometimes they aren't careful enough, and sometimes they get lucky.

Last week Rick bought a barely running little British sports car that "only needed a tune up". Turned out that the crank shaft bearings were spun, and the crank itself was worn out and unusable. And after this many years, a new crank is "unobtainium". He lost a good bit of money on that deal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone got a link to the video?</p>

·
Registered
918 Posts
My wife and I watch most all of the History channel shows and Pawn Stars is no exception. We both saw this show last night and could not believe that guy was asking $30,000 for that car. He admited that he repainted the car himself and didn't doa very good job and the engine not only sounded like crap, it shook bad as well. I woud not pay$30,000 for a carthat need the kind of work that car needed. The best part waswhen Ricktold the guyhe didn't want the car and the guy said later to the camera, that rickwas only trying to screw him. My wife and I bothagreethat most of the people going into that pawn shop now a days, only do itso they can gettheir faces onTV.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
I saw it last night and the guy said he put a 20 foot- 20 mph paint job on it hisself. The motor upchucked in the intake when you touch the throttle. Could have been as simple as a vaccum leak or something pricey. The mechanics description of the what the tranny was doing would have been accurate for a tranny going out. The guy saying the car was worth 60 to 70 thousand made me bust out laughing. In mint condition he wouldn't get that much. I don't think they looked for rust because they knew the car was a money pit.
The comments the seller said afterward made him look like a real tool.He embarassed z car owners world wide.
However I will offer him $500 for it!

·
Registered
250 Posts
<font style="background-color: #e7e7e7;">It comes on again tonight at 1am on the History channel. Ill be sleeping but i got a dvr, it all good.</font></p>

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Part 1/3 of the episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW5B5NZHTVk

Part 2/3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIKpfeBScZ0

Starts at the end of part 1 and is finished early in part 2.

Yes. Car is not worth $4k. He was trying to get way too much money for a turd pile.
- bad paint
- non factory wheels
- engine runs poorly

A cold engine may be slightly temperamental. An engine that just saw an 80 mile trip should start right back up and not have any issues.

Cardomain:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512902

·
Registered
81 Posts
The best part of that segment for me was when my 9 y/o and 13 y/o both said that the guy was nuts and that my 76 looks and runs much better than the one on TV. Way to go boys. At least I know they listen sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.