ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got tired of driving around with one fully lit light and one that was on sort of. I followed everyone's advise and cleaned all the contacts. This helped for about 3 weeks then it was back to the same thing. I think what had happened was that I installed some high power H4 lights about 3 years ago without using a relay. This I'm sure toasted my wiring so, no amount of cleaning the contacts was going to fix it. My only solution was to replace the wiring. This would have just made them as good as stock and I really wanted some more power. Here's what I did.

I ordered:
Painless Wiring H-4 Conversion kit
130/90 watt Xenon bulbs.

Redid my battery conections for my amp and everything else.

Now I finally have real lighting. The look is great and has as much lighting as the new cars that are coming out. I think I might order some of the housings that are flat on the front. They are supposed to dispurse light better. Right?

Cody 82 ZXT

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats!!! I don't know anything about the "flat housings" but I know that your night vision has greatly improved.... Question though; Where did you order your "Painless Wiring Kit" from?

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Hi Cody, I just drove my car this morning with the new lights installed. Much better lighting now. they are the flat housings and they appear to be just fine. I did not do any work to that part of the wire harness, so we will see what happens. The problem area for your car most likely is in the light switch assembly itself. There are two switch contacts that get dirty. My car had the same problem, and I fixed it with some 2000 grit sandpaper between the contacts. I am not sure what switch assembly you have, but my car has the assembly that has the plug in connectors at the back of the switch and about a foot down the line also. I have noted the plastic connector at the back of the switch has turned brown from heat. The system is pulling to much current for the connector. I am just going to keep an eye on my lights and if the left side gets dim again I am going to change out the whole switch and be done with it.
The relay is a good idea in light of the low current switch contacts in the light circuit that fail, but a pain in the butt.
I really like the white light from the H4's

·
Registered
24 Posts
that sounds cool....i was wondering for my 79' 280zx what i can do to acquire the same lighting....please email me back with info on where you got the harness and lights and do you know if it will work for my 79' thanks....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Don't forget...

to dim your lights for oncoming traffic!
(Especially if oncoming car happens to be a cop!)

Jeffp -- I stopped by AIS in LA, following your recommendation. I never saw so many alternators in my life!. Jeff's rebuilding my stock 260 alternator to 110A or close. He seems to know what he's doing, but I haven't got the unit yet. I'll still have external regulator to play with (in case I get bored!). Also saves me the worry about getting the rewiring right for the alternator-w/-internal-regulator swap. I'll let you know how I make out. Eventual plan is to add fog and driving lights w/ appropriate relays.

Later!
--------- Al

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Don't forget...

Tonight was the first night that I could really drive with the new lights. Wow I finally have light. There wasn't a car on the road that had as good of lighting. I can't wait to be next to a car with HID lights.

I bought my Harness from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesale in Ft. Worth, Tx. The manufactor in about 10 minuites from my work. They are very nice.

Jeff, I tried to clean the contacts but, maybe I didn't get it clean enough. The switch proubly needs to be replaced alltogether. I think I have the same assembley that you have. My orginal harness is brown also. I keep a spare in the garage just incase.

I spent about 120.00 on the lights and harness.

e-mail me if any more questions.
Cody 82 ZXT

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Should work with any car.!!!

The kit is made to work with any car. You could make your own harness but I really am tired of trial and error on somethings. I just wanted this to work right the first time. The kit is very high quality and is very simple to install.

Cody 82 ZXT

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Summitracing.com sells it for 71 bucks. Use PRF-30815 and you will find it. You can also get to the painless site under manufacture on the site...

Z U V8ter

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi there jeffp, just be aware that it might not be too much current that is causing your connector to get hot, but if the connection is not very good then it will also get hot. Maybe it was getting hot before you cleaned it. You say there are two plug connectors, did the other one discolour too, because if they are the same type of plug but only one discoloured (and they are is series), I wouldn't worry about the plug rating but the quality of connection (at the contacts and where the cable solders/crimps to the connector).

I might be right off on a tangent here but if it might be helpful, it's worth posting

later
eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.