ZCar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently got my new (to me) 83 280zx with only 81K original miles, and the individual who sold it to me said that the gasoline tank needed to be restored or a new one purchased, as well as the sending unit. I dismantled the tank and sending unit and found it to be heavily rusted. The owner claimed it had been sitting in his garage since 1992, with a full tank of gas, and that he had only started it on rare occasions. Was wondering if its possible to restore sending unit and fuel tank, or would it be better to replace it with something else? Im very new to Z's and just need people opinions and thoughts on this. I'm wondering if the sending unit and gasoline tank can be restored, or if it's preferable to replace them with something else. I'm new to Z's and would like to hear other people's thoughts on this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Check with local radiator shops to see about restoring and reusing your current tank. They should be able to tell you if it is salvageable. Sourcing a replacement may be difficult.

I'd replace the sending unit, etc. for peace of mind while it's all out.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Question: Were you able to start the car when you bought it?

www.xenonzcar.com
www.thezstore.com
www.nissanpartsdeal.com

Go to these. the first site will tell everything you need to know about the 280zx. download the factory manual for free. you're going to need it!

I would just have the tank cleaned the best you can. If the car was indeed inside a garage all that time, the tank may not be in as bad shape as the PO said it was.

Bon

Reactions: Abuxs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check with local radiator shops to see about restoring and reusing your current tank. They should be able to tell you if it is salvageable. Sourcing a replacement may be difficult.

I'd replace the sending unit, etc. for peace of mind while it's all out.
Thank you so much for the information will be definitely giving them a call!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question: Were you able to start the car when you bought it?

www.xenonzcar.com
www.thezstore.com
www.nissanpartsdeal.com

Go to these. the first site will tell everything you need to know about the 280zx. download the factory manual for free. you're going to need it!

I would just have the tank cleaned the best you can. If the car was indeed inside a garage all that time, the tank may not be in as bad shape as the PO said it was.

Bon
Wow, this is great information, will definitely help me when restoring the car! By any chance would you happen to know why my windows won't roll down? could it be a fuse or short?

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,587 Posts
Wow, this is great information, will definitely help me when restoring the car! By any chance would you happen to know why my windows won't roll down? could it be a fuse or short?
Options that occur to me:

-Bad switch
-Blown fuse(s)
-Fault in wiring
-Bad motor(s)

I'd start with the fuses.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Pilgrim is spot on for the windows and there is one more thing to add. There is a circuit breaker for the windows and it is located on the RH rocker panel. You have to pull the bottom molding for the door opening and peel back the carpet. It's in a recess on the vertical wall of the rocker.
For your fuel tank you can pull the sending unit out while the tank is still installed. Be sure to drain most of the fuel out first by siphoning it out through the filler neck. Then pull the pad out in the cargo area, there is a round access panel that uses 2 screws. Pull the sending unit and look inside with a flash light. If a tank is badly rusted your better off not sending it to a radiator shop. They don't do a good enough job and don't kill the rust good enough. One of my vendors does fuel tank restoration. They cut the tank in half, blast out the insides, treat it with chemicals, weld it back together, then coat the tank inside and out and bake it. They guarantee it never to rust again. If a tank has a rotten bottom end they'll weld new metal in. For the 75-78 cars they also remove the pickup screen inside because they can plug up. Then use an external filter.
I can fix some of the sending units, and for the ones I can't fix, I send them to a company that can restore them. I've sent them sending units that leaked, the wiring was broken, the windings were shot, and even ones that other companies have tried to fix and failed. The place I use has fixed them all. If you want a sender or a fuel tank repaired send them to me and I can have it done. Contact me directly at 360-668-2979, or [email protected] and don't forget to mention that you use this forum for a better price. Z man of Washington

1 - 9 of 9 Posts