ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got the 77 in my name. The previous owner lost the title and had to get another one that took a month. So I had a chance to replace what had not already been replaced by the previous owner. All connections have been cleaned and the following has been replaced with new or remanufactured parts:

injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, cap rotor, wires, coil, transistorized ignition module, air flow meter, new sensors and a bunch of other stuff. All this was getting replaced regardless of condition as a part of the reconditioning. I am still having problems with restarting after the motor has been running. Cold weather starts are ok but it sometimes quits and will not restart untill it cools down again.

So there I am running around the block in this Z that is running like ****. Sputtering, full throttle and no power and more smoke than you can imagine. Three times around the block and it still won't run. At this point I am too frustrated to be driving this car so it is time to take it home. By accident I kicked the brain with my foot (all the interior pieces are out of it so the brain is exposed). It took off like a bat out of ****.!!! Man, when this car runs does it ever run. A few minutes later back to the sputtering and poor running so now I kick the **** thing again. Off like the bat again. Now we are to the point where it is running poor no matter how hard I kick it. Just kidding, it is more like just tapping it.

So my question is, Is this really happening? I don't think there are any moving parts in the ECU but is it possible that tapping the side could do anything or do you think it was just a coincidence? Everything else is new and I heard the ECU is practically indestructable. Any suggestions as to where to go from here? Thanks for taking the time to review this. I look forward to your responses. Thanks again. John.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Did you try to disconnect the connector going into the ECU? That connector could have been loose and kicking the ECU may have knocked it into place, that is untill you knocked it to the point where it wouldn't make any kind of connection any more. Try taking the plug on and off a few times, making sure that when you finally install the plug it is nice and tight.

Another thing could be some solder connections inside the ECU are bad, broken, or just loose, I would check the plug first and see if that fixes your problem.

~Josh

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Hey, I think you should go to full engine management because your car is one little hod rod : ) On the mod engine, it's hard to get good setting with stock 25 years old anolog computer, specially L-jetronic. I got 76 ECU that I'm willing to let you borrow if it's capable with 77 (I don't think so though).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.