ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little late 260 with a 240z from a 71 just got rocked. What can i do to beat this idiot. I have a E31 with su's and just ordered a K&N airfilter coming on friday. what else is a cheat upgrade with using nitrous or turbo charging?
thanks
matt

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Get higher Octane;)!!

if you can arrange a time with this kid put some of that stuff in when your tank is on low near empty and drop that high octane in it and you should have a boost in power:)
Zya
yuichi

·
Registered
78 Posts
for less than $200 you should be able to find a rear end with a better final drive in it. look for a 4.11 or 3.90, and that will give you the biggest performance boost for the money. you may have to swap to an r200 to find these ratios, but if you look on the dime quarterly (a big 510 page), you can probably find a cheap r180 with a better ratio. articles on zhome.com will tell you about the swap to an r200 if you can't find a suitable r180.
good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>with out block or head work than</b>

I have raced 5.0 all my life, I can trash them in my
hopped up turbo z, however NOS kits start at 500.00
and if you rejet you carbs i am sure you will be able to tople the mustangs. paeco industries have been building 300 + hp non turbo engins, to beat the mustang
you need at least 225 bhp,

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've whipped many carburated 240's before in my 83 280zx. I've also beat many mustangs, so my advise is to go with fuel injection. Find a 280 to donate its heart and soul and stick it in your car. Or whatever, because I know alot of people will disagree with this advise.

·
Registered
680 Posts
cudestanges hehehe

Hay I had a boss that had a 5.0 mustang. I race him beat him. Problem is I think I got lay off from the job becuse I beat him. Sore loser huh. And the 98 mustangs. are slower then the old mustangs.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sue him!! heheheh

maybe if you have a case against him you can win money and make your Z even more faster!!! heheh
Zya
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<b>RE: Just got beat by a kid in a 98 mustang GT!<

Anyone who knows knows anything about Z's, knows that it takes a great deal more than just an exhaust to out perform a mustang.

You were very quick to jump Ziggy,when in fact your the one quick to dish out half assed info. Now this poor guy is going to rush out, spend god knows how much on an exhaust, and still get whipped by the stang.You owe alot more respect to these people than that.At least with Ziggy we all knew he was playing and at least he made us all laugh. Who's the A$$hole now? or would you prefer weenie. Oh yeah, take your wonderful idea and stick it where your stripes don't go.

·
Registered
403 Posts
RE: Just got beat by a kid in a 98 mustang GT!<

I believe that if you read his original question he asked what is CHEAP not what is thorough. Combined with a higher (numerically) differential and a better exhaust he should be able to at least hold his own with a GT. I should know I own a 96 GT convertible with a 3.27 optional higher ratio rear end. Even with my Z's internally relatively stock engine with SU's, K&N's, a 2.25 inch exhaust, MSD 6A and a 3.545 rear end and a 79 Zx 5 speed I can most definitely hang with it. So if you seem to have some sort of personal problem with me being somewhat outspoken at times then quit hiding behind the fake identity, don't be a ***** about posting your email and step on up. I don't exactly recall seing you spending alot of time as a regular here at least not with that Name. I made *A* suggestion not an all encompassing solution and if you construed it as that then obviously you are an idiot. BTW when the postings start listing IP's soon, and you're real identity is revealed, I will most certainly amuse myself at your expense. I guess you must be Z-iggy or something because I doubt anyone else would take this so personally. I'll be watching out for you ya cowering little excuse for a man.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<b>RE: Just got beat by a kid in a 98 mustang GT!&

Hey,Ponyboy,since when is an exhaust inexpensive? Where would you suggest? Midas?
Point being. A mandrel bent exhaust with a (quality) muffler will run you in the neighborhood of $500 to $600 without labor. If you want 3" your looking at a 1k easily.OK lets say he goes with the cheap motorsport exhaust, his rearwheel hp.gain will be in the 3 to 5 hp. gain,I think evreryone here would agree thats hardly enough to make a difference on a GT. So once again you prove yourself to be the idiot.Not only is it expensive it has little effect a mustang. If you don't know what your talking about, just sit by and let the others hadle it. I think in order to keep the sport alive and growing we need to keep each other in check,and provide, honest and informative posts.
I frequent this site often and have been leaving messages for over a year under the same name. I have nothing to hide. As far as your computer games you speak of,they hardly scare me ...I'm from the old school, if I had a personal problem with you,trust me you would know it because I'd kick the **** out of you. Pony boy...sounds like maybe you should stick with mustangs because you obviously know nothing about Z's

fastZNTX

·
Registered
403 Posts
RE: Just got beat by a kid in a 98 mustang GT!&amp

Funny it only cost me about 250 for a custom 2.25 inch exhaust with a stainless muffler you must just like paying too much. And as far as the threats of kicking my ass. You don't live in phoenix by chance do you? Cuz I haven't gotten my ass kicked in a long time and I don't think you're gonna be the guy to do it. You're not worth enough of my time to make me fly to wherever it is you are just for a showdown. And anyone putting a 3 inch exhaust on a normally asipirated mostly stock Z is throwing their money away. I'm the dumbass? By the way I don't recognize your name from the past year because I have been here for nearly that long (just haven't always used Zebra) and I still haven't seen you posting your email like anyone with some balls would have the courtesy to do. I think you're just an ******* out trolling.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

You can't really call a 250 dollar,2 1/4 inch exhaust (custom). I know they might have told you that at pepboys but you can't believe everything they tell you, Pony boy. I have personally dynoed all kinds of exhausts and headers on a Dyno Jet chasis dyno,so...I think you might be supprised how much difference in bottom end torque and top end hp. the 3 inch makes over your so called custom exhaust.Like I said earlier,stick with the mustang,and leave the advice to people who know.

Tag your it.

·
Registered
403 Posts

all that a 3 inch exhaust would do on a fairly stock engine is kill all the low end torque and I doubt you'd see any appreciable difference between a 3 inch and a 2.25 or 2.5 on a stock engine. BTW I had it custom made at an exhaust shop not a **** excuse for a place like pep boys. How much would you pay for an exhaust system with 2 90 degree bends? and 100 of it was for the muffler I'm not saying it's the be all end all exhaust system but it's definitely better than the stock exhaust is. By the way I've contacted your ISP per your "threats" of violence and they'll be contacting you soon regarding cancellation of your account (see the funny thing with ISP's is that they'd rather lose 1 customer's 16 dollars a month than face the liability of you actually making good on your threats) have a nice day.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I'm sorry, but your doubts mean absolutely nothing to me, after all your an idiot. What does matter to me is Dyno proof.
Let me ask you something ...have you ever dynoed a 3' exhaust on a relatively stock L series? I tell you what, You find me anyone,with dyno proof, that has compared a full 3" exhaust to (any) size smaller and lost hp. or torque on a Z and I'll never post here again. As far as your little computer games...I'm shaking.You really should read the posts a little more closely. What I offered was hardly a threat Ponyboy.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Ok I'm game, show me some "proof." The more you open your mouth about your dyno "experience", the more you prove that you don't know jack. 3 inch is way overkill for a stock L series engine and you with your dyno experience should know that. Yes you will lose torque with a 3 inch because of the reduced backpressure. This is common knowledge. A stock Z doesn't flow enough exhaust to need a 3 inch. If you want I can run some calculations in Mathmatica or any other similar application to prove that much. Even if the cost were identical a 2.5 inch exhaust is still a better way to go for less lost torque, easier installation, better ground clearance, less money, shall I go on? If you have all this experience and proof why not post some graphs of dyno runs? For all this so called proof, you're not very forthcoming with figures. What kind of differences does it make? and at what RPM ranges? Better yet why don't you call Don Potter and try and tell him that a 3 inch is a better choice on a stock Z, he'll laugh at you. If you want his number I can give it to you. And as for my little computer "games" you stick to claiming you know dynoing vehicles, and I'll stick to computers, that's why I make the big bucks and you don't. C'mon you want me to produce proof in a dyno chart? Lets see you produce some first since you "work with em all the time" I think you're a liar and until you prove otherwise by posting some hard facts then you will continue to be one as far as I'm concerned. The ball's in your court now so put up or shut up. Oh and by the way what is a ZNTX I don't recall that being a model manufactured by Nissan at any point in time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.