ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my auto is failing, so i am switching my 76 to a 5 speed.
however i am on a budget so i am trying to get all the stuff from junkyards.

don't know much about trannies, besides checking the drainplug for chunks, and looking at the overall condition of the car, or whats left of it, any ideas?
what should i be looking to avoid?
also this yard will sell me a 82 five speed with all the stuff my car doesn't have for $225.00, i assuming that will be the shifter, fork and flywheel stuff, is this a good price, (175 tranny, 50 other stuff)

thanks
mike

also i have a spare auto, i don't know if it works but its free to any one who wants to pay shipping, the guy i got it from said it worked.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
It's In a Junkyard Cause It's Junk.

No one should ever buy anything but hard parts from a junk yard.

In the first place, things don't wind up in a scrap heap because they've been well taken care. In the second, once the component has lain in the weather for a while with its seals drying out and dust blowing into it, and it's been tossed around by a boozy fork lift driver a few times, it's probably not gonna be what a sane person wants to pay good money for anyhow.

You can count on doing a complete rebuild on any engine or transmission that comes from a junk yard, if not right off the bat then surely in a very short while.

Buy a dozen transmissions from a junk yard and you'll probably get a dozen of the same part that's defective. That's why the theory of "buy 3 to build 1" doesn't hold water.

If you want a bargain 5-speed, get a rebuild or rebuild one you acquire yourself. You'll pay a little more initially that way, but you'll save considerable money and grief in the long run. If you install a component and then it breaks or proves defective, you can add the trouble and cost of taking it out again to the bill you're going to have to pay.

Ps. Please no responses from wags who who know a guy who says he knows a guy who bought an engine from Pick-U-Part that ran for 900,000 miles without a
single hitch. Most of those stories are urban legends, and as for the rest -- Well, miracles happen - but not often enough to justify the risk of being stranded somewhere you may not want to leave the car.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Not exactly</b>

A lot of Z's are in junk yards because after the interior, and paint go,they frankly aren't worth anything, or becuase they have been wrecked. My brother bought a 5speed out of a junkyard car, and it's in better shape than mine with 120,000 miles on it.

Besides how many of us have had problems with these transmissions? They seem to be pretty bullet proof to me. Transmissions and diffs should outlast any car, if even moderately maintained. There is nothing wrong with changing the seals, in fact I recomend it, but I wouldn't say don't do it, plus most junkyards offer a make-shift 30 day return policy, so if it's crap take it back.

A $50 tranny beats the **** out of a $500 rebuild, even if you have to buy two!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Slim</b>

I have to agree with SpencZ on a few things...some of us don’t have an endless bank account and are working on a very strict budget. If we can get parts from a junk car that..while not perfect..but better than what we have or can get us by until better things come along, well then so be it. I am all for someone offering their advice...but don’t shove yours on us. You are not all knowing and all seeing...contrary to what you believe. I have pulled many parts from a junkyard such as motors and alt. tran. and I would have to say that while some do fail after a short while my experience in this is if you check out and inspect what you are buying..I have had about a 75 -80 percent success rate rather than failure ( as you would have us believe.) And I am not the only one...I know alot of people that have done the same and I am sure that alot of people from this board can say the same. If you are not able to determine bad parts from salvageable parts from a junkyard that’s your problem..dont push off your ill-attempts and letdowns on everyone else that even thinks of looking in a junkyard for any thing other than a pulley. From now on if someone wants to look and buy it..so be it...if it breaks, that’s fine to..its not your money, it didn’t hurt you. And if they break it and want help with it...you don’t have to offer any suggestions if you don’t want to..plenty others will be more than glad to help a brother in need. Sorry to everyone else that this is so long, but I was fed up with all the smug remarks...we are here to help one another, not condemn someone for his or her lack funds.

Thanks Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: recycling in the 90's

We recycle Z cars to keep other Z cars on the road, as well as make a fun living.
Many of these cars have very low miles, just got a 91 300zx twin turbo with 22k.
The 5 spd went to Melloy Nissan in NM, and is working fine. We see rebuilt 5 spds
all the time when parting the zx's and later 280z's. Many engines, airflow meters, alternators, starters, calipers, exhaust, radiators, etc are rebuilt or new on these wrecked z's.
The stereotyped Junkyards are almost nonexistent in our area, with most of the ones I deal with offering 90 day warranties, electronic locating services, prompt delivery, etc. They are enviromently friendly too, one has to be anymore. I don't know of any boozey forklift drivers either, but I can relate to some of this
activity 20 years ago, when yards drained the oil right on the ground, and the counter guys said "nope, we ain't got dat".
Now many countermen are college grads making 6 figure incomes. Thanks for listening, Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Good Point</b>

Joe,

Well said.... Should you decide to continue making good points like that... I just might need to buy something from your business.

By the way.... check your e-mail. I sent you an RFP this morning and haven't seen a reply.

Dennis

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: original tranny

man who is this slim guy, like the guy above, i am a college student and professional musician that scrapes along teaching little kids to blow the saxophone.

my initial question was what to look for in a tranny so i don't wind up with a piece of garbage.

context and content are everything, slim's anserw did not really address my question at hand, if i had wanted a scathing tirade i would have called my father and told him i sold the Z and bought an alfa.

so what should i check besides car condition, foot peddles, etc. and the drain plug. i think the car might be complete, so if the clutch still had fluid in it would shifting be a good idea or bad. this might sound like a silly question but i keepmy auto going and most of my free time is spent working on the saxophone.

thanks
mike

·
Registered
403 Posts
RE: original tranny

I think one of the easiest tests is that if the car is physically wrecked that chances are it was running up until that point. If the body is in good shape, then I start to look at things a little further. On a personal anecdote, I purchased a 5 speed from a 79 and put it in my 240 about 3 years ago only changing the oil to redline MTL when I put it in. It shifts great and I have had absolutely no problems with it (the old one made this nasty grinding sound in 1st and 2nd gear so I ditched it) Checking for debris on the magnet is a great indicator (but not perfect) if there are chunks, find another one, if it's just little hairy looking particles, that's normal wear. And if you're really wanting something to warn you of impending tranny failure rig up a chip detector as used on aircraft, just a magnetic plug that has an open circuit running on it. As soon as a sizeable chip completes the circuit across the gap on the plug, you get a warning light. Really not a hard project to build if you're worried about stuff but then cars don't fall out of the sky if their transmissions fail.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Okay, Junk Yards Are Really Great Places...

and there are lots of fantastic finds in 'em. But before you pay good money for a bad working part or electrical component, look the dealer in the eye - and if he admits to speaking English at all - ask him if he'll give you a written guarantee on it. Unless he's plumb loco, you're gonna get the standard used part "5/50 guarantee" - that's 5 years or 50 feet, whichever comes first.

For the fellow who asks, "Who is this Slim guy anyway," I'll tell you. Slim's a fellow who started out going to junkyards for parts a long time ago. He even had his own precious cache of spares for a while that filled up 3 two-car garages. But he got a flash one day when he was writing out the checks for his property taxes, and he calculated that it was cheaper and easier to buy new parts, specific ones he actually needed, than to mess around poring through piles of other folks' trash. It just doesn't make sense to buy six of what MIGHT work when you can buy one of what WILL work, and have the dealer standing behind it. You see, the time that it takes to hunt up a part at a junk yard, clean it, maybe rebuild it, install it, test it, swear at it, remove it and start all over again has a value too - especially for those of us who don't punch out at 5 o'clock or get many weekends off to ourselves.

Now for those noble and self-righteous indigents who want Slim to feel bad about not being one of their companions in travail - get real, fellows! Ol' Slim's been poor, poorer than people are supposed to be in the U.S.A., and it wasn't very pleasant for him. Instead of knocking others for pulling themselves up, why don't some of you knuckle down and give it a try too?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.