ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've had my Z (about 4 months now) the speedo bounces about 10 to 25 mph increasing with speed. It will only stop bouncing if I,m going about 100mph ( I'm guessing because I don't realy know) because it just stays pinned against the trip reset button anyway. When I first bought it I just figured the speedo was going out, but it still does the exact same thing, no change in behavior. Got any idea's before just replacing it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
The cable is a long spring, when they get old the grease in them becomes nasty. This will cause the cable to bind up then release over and over, causing the jumping that you see. Mine did this just every once in a while, made it really exciting to drive with cruise control turned on!
Pull your cable and re-grease it.

> Ever since I've had my Z (about 4 months
> now) the speedo bounces about 10 to 25 mph
> increasing with speed. It will only stop
> bouncing if I,m going about 100mph ( I'm
> guessing because I don't realy know) because
> it just stays pinned against the trip reset
> button anyway. When I first bought it I just
> figured the speedo was going out, but it
> still does the exact same thing, no change
> in behavior. Got any idea's before just
> replacing it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
ConorP has a good point. I would guess this is most likely the trouble. I had the same problem with mine on my 81. The grease did not fix it though. I went to Z Specialty and got a 130mph speedo. Some of the ZX's have the 130 unit. It was no big deal to pull the instrument cluster, disassemble and replace only the speedo. If you go this route, and have cruise control, make sure the speedo you get has the cruise control. That 130 unit did not and I ended up getting a 85 again.

If you do replace it drop the steering column by loosening the two bolts under the dash that hold it. This makes it easy to get the cluster out without removing it as my manual says. It took me a whole day to figure this out. Once I had it down though, it took about 20 minutes.

Motorsport also sells a 140 mph unit. I think it's kinda pricey though.

Hope this helps.

Rbest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
> The cable is a long spring, when they get
> old the grease in them becomes nasty. This
> will cause the cable to bind up then release
> over and over, causing the jumping that you
> see. Mine did this just every once in a
> while, made it really exciting to drive with
> cruise control turned on!
> Pull your cable and re-grease it.

What kind of grease do you use, and do you do anything to clean out the sheath first? Mine just broke and I'd like to put one in there the right way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> ConorP has a good point. I would guess this
> is most likely the trouble. I had the same
> problem with mine on my 81. The grease did
> not fix it though. I went to Z Specialty and
> got a 130mph speedo. Some of the ZX's have
> the 130 unit. It was no big deal to pull the
> instrument cluster, disassemble and replace
> only the speedo. If you go this route, and
> have cruise control, make sure the speedo
> you get has the cruise control. That 130
> unit did not and I ended up getting a 85
> again.

> If you do replace it drop the steering
> column by loosening the two bolts under the
> dash that hold it. This makes it easy to get
> the cluster out without removing it as my
> manual says. It took me a whole day to
> figure this out. Once I had it down though,
> it took about 20 minutes.

> Motorsport also sells a 140 mph unit. I
> think it's kinda pricey though.

> Hope this helps.

> Rbest
I posted earlier about using the graphite based speedo cable lube, it isn't greasy. What you say about the cruise on the speedo is true, and if you want a 130mph speedo, we would sell anyone one for 40.00 + shipping. Please specify cruise control, or not. thanks, Joe
ALL Z EAST 1-800-533-5659
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
> I posted earlier about using the graphite
> based speedo cable lube, it isn't greasy.
> What you say about the cruise on the speedo
> is true, and if you want a 130mph speedo, we
> would sell anyone one for 40.00 + shipping.
> Please specify cruise control, or not.
> thanks, Joe
> ALL Z EAST 1-800-533-5659
Joe, I sure do appreciate your informative posts! I wish I found out about you guys (and zcar.com) about a year ago when I was doing all that rebuilding on my car. I sure would love one of those 130mph speedo's. I need to get this dang auto climate system converted first. I can't wait to get down there and tour your yard and tell all these guys (and gals) about it. You seem to have an abundance of parts and at great prices, from others that I have compared too. How 'bout those gold turbo wheels? Did you get that set in? Better email me personally for those, I don't want someone else to get the jump on me. I've got that tax money coming back!!
Thanks,
Randy Best
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top