ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a very basic and dumb question, but what is the proper way to jump start a car?
I am asking because I tried and fried my fusible link for my battery and I don't want it to happen again.

From what I have heard so far you attach the + and - to the running car and then attach the + to my car and then the - to the frame. is this correct?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Yeah, correct enough as long as you don't short the free end of the booster cables to each other before you hook them up to your low battery.
I usually connect the (-) booster cable to the battery terminal if I am confident that the car's cabling is not at fault.

I think the stock Z31 (-) battery cable has a better connection to the engine/bellhousing than it does to the body, at least on my car.

The picture in my owners manual shows the (-) booster cable being clamped onto a strut retaining nut, which for some reason forces the bulk of the current through the chassis back up to the spot where the (-) battery cable bolts to the body, then through the stock battery cable down to the bellhousing.
Anyone got any ideas why Nissan would want it that way?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I say push start it, lol!!

I dunno, I've jumped plenty of cars/trucks/vans and I just connect the cables to the running car first, then the positive cable to the battery, then the negative cable to the battery. Hasn't faulted me yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2 cents
Being a nice guy I offered to jump this guy's car.
I connected the booster cables directly to battery terminals. I sucessfully fried my alternator.
lesson learned. Don't jump other cars and if my Z needs a boost I either call AAA or use a portable battery jumper/charger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.